Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's say I'd like to build the 1957 Chevy ...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbherri2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Let's say I'd like to build the 1957 Chevy ...? Reply with quote

I'd like to build the 1957 Chevy that Fireball Roberts ran at the 1958 Darlington race.

I have the Fred Cady decals for the car. I think it had 6 lug wheels, I've read that it was carb'd and not fuel injection. I assume the rollcage to be black.

Would any of these kits be good to start with? I'd considered using the Revell Black Widow for the chassis and interior, although that kit does have the FI engine.

My goal:

Kits I thought might be worth starting with:

Any insight or help would be appreciated. MarkJ built a beautiful representation of the car; and I hope mine is half as good as his.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit that I am familiar with, the Pro Shop version, is what I am using to build that particular car. It has more detail and photo etched parts. Plus, most model vendors seem to be selling it for less than the other kits. If I remember correctly, the main thing I had to get was a single carb intake and breather. Back seat and exhaust system are separate pieces, that helps also
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Pro Shop kit to build the Larry Frank team car from that race. I did end up hacking up a Revell Black Widow for the front fender gills that didn't have any trim engraved into them. The contours matched perfectly, I don't think I even needed any filler. Proportions look good to my eye.

Scratchbuilt cage:

1fozziebear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful build. I learned that duct tape was around in the mid-late 50s from this board. Never would've thought....
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
jbherri2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is beautiful work. Thank you for sharing!
jbherri2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pick up the AMT Pro Shop 57 Chevy kit and a set of PPP wheels and tires. Would the tires actually have been Firestone for Fireball Roberts in the 1958 race at Darlington? Or am I just imagining that?
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestone tires in this pic. But can't see any clear tire branding from Darlington images:

MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just abourt any 2-door hardtop kit will work. Just don't go too big on the wheels and tires. I will p.m. you my version if you would like to see it. I made my own decals so I could get the special stuff he had on the car that day on the hood. Let me know if you'd like to see it. I think I used the third kit down, but the box art was different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: