Kenny Irwin's 1998 Texaco Havoline Ford Taurus

Left Side View | Left Front View | Right Rear View

This is the 1998 Texaco/Havoline Ford Taurus driven by Rookie of the Year Kenny Irwin!

The model is a Revell/Monogram 1998 #99Taurus and the decals are from Slixx. The kit exhaust system was replaced by a flat pipe of my own design.

Painting and Decals:

I painted the chassis bright red (1 bottle testors red + 1 bottle testors orange). The body interior was painted first with this same red and then the exterior was painted with testors gloss black! This body went through a lot before I finished it. I first tried to use decals from a kit (t-bird) because I got tired of waiting on the slixx decals (my first mistake!) Well, I had several #28 t-bird sheets and I put the decals on. For some reason I didn't put the roof number on until almost the last thing (As everyone should know from reading my other writeups I usually put it on first thing!) And I messed it up cracked in several places and simply wouldn't work! So, I looked for another and there was not one to be found on the other sheets!!! I then decided to put a door number there (second mistake!!). Well, I had let it set and then decided it just didn't look right. This is when I decided to put it on hold until the slixx came in. Finally the slixx sheet became available and I got a couple and the door numbers and hood decals matched almost perfectly so I put them on over the kit decals. The roof was a problem though! The decal wouldn't come off. So, I sanded it off and put a piece of black decal stock over it. (When microscale says that this stuff looks like paint when properly applied they don't lie!) I then put the new slixx roof number on over this! I then applied the fender decals, the rear deck lid decal and the front (headlight, grille etc.) and rear fascia decals. Note: the yellow lower body strip is Microscale yellow decal stock and the red stripe is from a #75 kit decal. Once I got the decals set I sprayed the body with testors high-gloss enamel spray. I then masked and painted the clear parts ...actually this was last weekend Nov.. 5-6, 1999....this body was really good and dry when I put these parts on!!! :-) Note: before I put the clear parts on I put the tabs on the back side of the airdam to hold the nose down (I would have normally done this before the body was even painted) so that I wouldn't break loose any of the clear parts during handling. I then mounted the body to the chassis! Well, there you have it! Everything but the painting and attaching of the clear parts was done months ago (I've been in a modeling slump for quite a while) and I've FINALLY finished it!

Complete instructions for painting and assembly of chassis, clear parts, and construction of slab sides can be found at the bottom of the main page!

Click Here