This is the 2001 DEI #8 Budweiser Monte Carlo driven by Dale Earnhardt
Jr.! The chassis is from a 2000 Revell Monte Carlo kit. The body is
a resin from John (JWTBM) with a kit hood. The decals are from JWTBM!
Painting and decals:
The chassis is standard light gray. The body was something new for me
since I had never worked with resin before! I went at it as I would
have with a kit piece... uh uh... this is a different puppy all
together! Had to ask John why the gray I airbrushed the inside with
didn't stick! He informed me that you have to soak the body overnight
in Westley's Bleache-White and the prime it with a good automotive
primer!!! You will then be ready to paint with your favorite colors!
I did this and it was ready to paint! (I used Plasti-kote white
sandable primer) I then shot the inside with my light gray testors.
Then I airbrushed the outside with model master guards red. Then after
masking the pillar outer roof area I airbrushed on the gloss black.
Time to apply the decals! I started as usual with the roof number...
I trimmed a sliver about 3/32 or so wide out of the top of the number
because it was just a tad too tall... I then applied the hood decal
and bowtie which with a little help from mr. microsol went down over the
right corner hood pin and the tether plates very well!!! I then
applied the pin stripe to the roof and around the bottom of the
window/rear glass area. Next the body side stripe/door number decals
were applied... again very smoothly! The rear quarter and bumper
stripes were next. Then the front fender/nose stripes. Again these
went on very well!!! Next the rear quarter Budweiser decals and
associate sponsor decals, the #3 DE mem. Decals, the fender contingency,
Goodyear and Remington decals. Lastly I applied the DE Jr. name
decals, the rear panel Budweiser.com, taillight and bowtie, the
headlight, grille and Monte Carlo nose decals and lastly the little #8
decals for the right headlight and taillights! After a full day of
drying I applied a good coat of model master clear top coat enamel to
the body. Another day of drying and I mounted the body on the chassis
and installed the clear parts which I again "painted" with my sharpie
marker. Last of all I painted the hood/trunk pins and fuel filler!
If you want the correct nose and rear spoiler without any work this body
has them... the kit hood fit very well with it (There is no resin of the
hood included)! The mods mentioned in my write ups for the 2000
regular and Olympic models were used on this one as well (Tabs for
holding body down and straight and notches in roof at the front) and can
be found by Clicking Here
Complete instructions for painting and assembly of chassis, clear
parts, and construction of slab sides can be found at the bottom of the main page!