Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dodge MAGNUM resin WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Dodge MAGNUM resin WIP Reply with quote

This started life as a 1979 Cordoba. I was going to build it as was, but since I bought two of them, I decided to look for the elephant in the soap.

How do you carve an elephant out of a bar of soap? Take a bar of soap and cut away anything that doesn't look like an elephant. My first grade teacher taught me that in art class.

So I looked this car over and I could see the MAGNUM, hidden in the Cordoba. These are the results so far. It will be a street car first, then I'll make a mold and do a NASCAR version after some castings.

George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Shocked That looks great !!! The 1975 - 79 Cordoba / Charger / Magnum did share most body parts; the nose and taillights were the biggest differences.
Helio Neto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Where did you find the Cordoba body?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
WOW!!! Shocked That looks great !!! The 1975 - 79 Cordoba / Charger / Magnum did share most body parts; the nose and taillights were the biggest differences.
The only discernible difference between '78 and '79 was the tail lights and of course the electronic package. I plan on making both sets of tail lights and a T-top kit for the street version.

The NASCAR version will be much easier. I'll blank out the head and tail lights, shave all the unnecessary bits and modify the fenders and deck lid. I've taken literally thousands of measurements doing this thing!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helio Neto wrote:
Great job! Where did you find the Cordoba body?
I'm sure you have heard of the great Juha Airio? Incredible old school modeler. He and a guy named Tapani Raurata, have several resin kits they sell out of, I want to say Finland. The kit was $100 and honestly, although the body was a good full cast, very few of the other parts were usable without lots of filling and sanding. I can see if I still have his e-mail if you'd like to inquire with them.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAaaaargh! When the perfect inspiration to keep going arrives...

And you're deep into a bout of carpal tunnel!!

I have gotten my headlight buckets straightened, matched and trimmed in. When my hands settle down I'll fill the gap in the step and smooth it in.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I screw up putting this here? Should I have put it in street cars? If so my apologies to the mod who has to move it.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes things just fall together. Trying to figure out how to build my headlight/turn signal lenses, I find these Monza tail lights in the parts box. they match my buckets in angle and curvature! I just need to build them up a little but they'll make a perfect frame!

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little further getting the trim shaped on the headlights.

I filled the step in the trim layers with glazing putty and started the angle. If experience has taught me anything it has taught me two things. ONE: Almost everything you make for a car you have to make twice!
(I hate twice!) TWO: (or twice if you prefer!) This is the point where I screw up and end up having to make one or both of them again.

So I believe it might be time to make a mold of these, before I continue. Then I can cast them in a solid piece and screw up as many as I need to. When I get a set I'm happy with I'll add the headlights and turn signal.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work man....love your attention to the details..... keep posting the progress! Hope your hand gets better...have the same problems myself.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallsCity48 wrote:
Great work man....love your attention to the details..... keep posting the progress! Hope your hand gets better...have the same problems myself.

I decided to ignore the headlights themselves for now. I'm cutting them out from the MPC Monaco kit. I did play with a little v-groove for fun though.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, and inspirational. I am looking at some elephants in the soap right now...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Great work, and inspirational. I am looking at some elephants in the soap right now...
Whatcha lookin fer?

Today I'm dialing in the fender tops and nose. Then it's on to the windshield trim (along with fixing the left a pillar) passenger window trim and the tail lights. I'm saving the grille for the last thing.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few tiny little tweaks, that mostly can't be seen without the picture, to straighten up, but I'm very happy with the shape of the nose now.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more work on the front.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, I got the new headlight trim in place and the "corners" (?) of the nose all rounded in. I'm MUCH happier with it's look now.

(SIGH) Getting the CAT HAIR just right is the tricky part! Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up:
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good running start.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grille and tail lights have been the major holdup on this thing. I knew I wasn't to be satisfied with a simplified grille like the window trim. I had to kick it up a notch.

I'm going to try and describe the process here in case this method might help somebody in the future.

Here is a cross section of the grille slats. The grey area in the box is the chrome strip.

The technique I'll use is called layering. My original thought was to start on the bottom with some .010, then work my way up until each level was achieved. This would have involved a lot more measuring, cutting, gluing and cursing than normal. Not to mention having to bevel every other edge!

Inspiration came in the form of V groove siding styrene from Evergreen. I use V groove a lot because you can break off fairly uniforn pieces without a lot of cutting. COMPLETELY by chance, I looked at a piece from the end and discovered the edge I needed, scored and broken off, the bevel from the "V" and the edge, made the exact trim pattern on the car! It just needed a little height. Two layers with a cap of .010 will duplicate the grille perfectly!

First thing I did was clean the edge of the sheet I'd been using. Just a couple drags of some 600 grit down the edge. You don't want to remove or alter the edge, just get rid of any trash from the breaking edge. I'm using .020 thick V sheet with 4mm slats, center v to center v.

I wanted to stack one atop the other but with the second one set back from the bottom and I needed about .5mm. Since the sheet is .020, I used an .020 square bar stock to add an edge to the V groove.

To keep it straight and tight I used a steel straight edge. Next I took a strip from the other side of the sheet. SCORE the V groove at it's bottom a couple times gently, but don't try to cut through. Once you've scored it, break the strip loose, clean both edges as before and add it to the modified strip, again using the straight edge.

My pencil marks show the tiers of the slat. On top I added .010 thick styrene strip to make the final level. Here it is from the end.

When scored and cut away, you're left with this.

Now it's a simple matter to make your chevrons and they'll be straight and even all the way across.

I'll try and finish up the grille tonight. I realize the odds of somebody else out there making a MAGNUM grille is slim to none. However this technique can be used in nearly any model and the moral of the story is: Don't miss the shape, within the shape. CHEERS!
KenMoparModeler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: 1979 Dodge Magnum Reply with quote

Have you progressed more on the Magnum and have you decided if you will be molding the stock version? I am very interested in this!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Dodge Magnum Reply with quote

KenMoparModeler wrote:
Have you progressed more on the Magnum and have you decided if you will be molding the stock version? I am very interested in this!
I have, but only slightly. Yes, I will be starting with a stock version. Smile
ModelerMikeNE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely awesome. If and when you get this one molded up, put me down for 2.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually forging back towards this one with all due speed. I'm almost done with the Chevelle project and that opens up a slot in the rotation. Twisted Evil
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you have to get these made in resin. I would love to build a few of the street versions.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
Dude you have to get these made in resin. I would love to build a few of the street versions.
This has been a years long project THAT ENDS NOW!! (Just kidding) I am what you call an oddball. I'm a square hole in a round peg. The proverbial "loose screw"? According to the wife, I don't have one fully tightened! (I'm just certain this is a major shock to all of you and you are now shaking your head in sadness for the madness. Don't, I'm cool with it and the wife stays so...)

Back to the model! I have completed what I think is a nice set of Chevelle ends that are ready to be molded and the Roadrunner parts are just drying under a coat of sealant now so those too.

There's another thread here about your second car and this is mine. Just never fell in love with the tuna boat Dad foist upon me for my first. Well I'm going to be 55 in June and although I've set a goal against arbitrary timelines I'm confident I can get this one home by then along with the Monte Carlo bumpers which are already halfway there.

THIS particular car needs the passenger side trim made to match the driver's, I'm re-doing the grille, headlight and tail lights. I will be updating this soon and it will eventually be ready for casting. If that happens I'm DEFINITELY selling them. (Don't tense up like that! I don't try to gouge on prices)

I have mentioned before, I am NOT confident I can cast this one. Or at least I wasn't. Pretty sure I can modify the pressure pot to lie on it's side with a wooden "table" of sorts to hold the longer mold nice and level. We'll see.
Sundance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Count me in too Reply with quote

I owned a 79 beige magnum. It was the most comfortable car I ever owned. Had it about 5 yrs until I slid on ice into a telephone pole. Didn't get a scratch.

I always wanted to build a model of it.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Count me in too Reply with quote

Sundance wrote:
I owned a 79 beige magnum. It was the most comfortable car I ever owned. Had it about 5 yrs until I slid on ice into a telephone pole. Didn't get a scratch.

I always wanted to build a model of it.
It was a really comfortable car. Floated down the highway (as long as you didn't try to broach 90). And unlike most Mopar, had decent turning radius.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish it up.....that way Salvinos will do it for sure!!!! It worked for my with my 87, 89 Thunderbirds and 88 Olds I did.
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Magnum Reply with quote

🤤
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Finish it up.....that way Salvinos will do it for sure!!!! It worked for my with my 87, 89 Thunderbirds and 88 Olds I did.
Truer words, never spoken! I think that may just be my hangup! Seems every time I get one near done, the kit comes out! Start selling resin parts that are HTF? The original kit get's a new release!! FIND one of those holy grail kits, lay out a mint for it, get it HALF BUILT... and the original get's a reissue!

I have NEVER in my life, dropped a glued or painted part, that DIDN'T land sticky side down!!
Sundance

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: yes but Reply with quote

To my knowledge there was never a street magnum. I would direly love to do one or two! Please finish it!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: yes but Reply with quote

Sundance wrote:
To my knowledge there was never a street magnum. I would direly love to do one or two! Please finish it!
There has not. I am currently taking the weekend before I gear up on these fresh parts I've finished but, she's back on the bench and waiting some fresh evergreen to arrive. Twisted Evil
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay gents, plastic on the way, I have a little bit to start with here so this is my late summer/early fall now. I have some fresh ideas about the head and tail lights and I'm mapping out the passenger side trim now. I do have a couple more parts coming in the next week or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: