Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Waltrip's 2001 Daytona 500 winner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Michael Waltrip's 2001 Daytona 500 winner Reply with quote

Here’s Michael Waltrip’s 2001 Daytona 500 winner, a car I’ve wanted to build for a long time. I always felt badly for Mikey that he never got to truly celebrate what should have been the best day of his life due to the tragic events that unfolded on the last lap. I’ll always remember seeing the video of Kenny Schrader coming over to him in Victory Lane to tell him the bad news, and seeing Mike’s expression go from one of joy to shock. I think his victory should be more remembered. This model is built with Testor’s paints and a combo of Wetworks and JWTBM decals. The two decal sheets have to be combined to make the Daytona winner.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to see that and thank you for sharing it. That's a historic race car in a lot of ways and I regret we haven't (yet) had an all-in-one decal sheet that will get you there without having to piece together two or three different sets.

Someday I should get my own version of the 2001 Daytona 500 winner completed; it's been stalled, for various reasons, for years. But I still want to build it as a reminder of that day, and of that strange, slightly sick feeling I had all afternoon, like I somehow knew something awful was going to happen before it was all over.

Jodie Peeler
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jodie. This model actually started as the Bobby Hamilton 2001 Talladega winner, but those decals disintegrated when placed in water, so I pivoted to this one.

Most of the graphics came from the WW sheet; I used the We Care and Martin Senor Paints logos from the JWTBM sheet, and used the tiny Kentucky flags from the JWTBM sheet as well, the ones in front of Mikey's name.

The one thing I couldn't fix is the rear decklid logo: the winner had Napa and Echlin on the rear lid, but this one has Auto Parts after the Napa logo. To me it's not a huge deal as I just build shelf models I like to look at from about 5 feet away.

I watched that race too, and was very excited when Mikey won. Immediately left the apt with my fiancee for a while and came back hours later to hear the news about Earnhardt. I had been nursing a bad feeling after the race about him, and it was a shock to see my worst fears had been confirmed. Always felt badly for Michael that his big day was eclipsed by tragedy.
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking model!
Radar43

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: #15 Reply with quote

Great Job Very Nice!
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a superb build. Sadly, Mikey will always be tied to that day in a negative way.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: