Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WANTED: 1972 Chevelle rear bumper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Trading Post
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scatpack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: WANTED: 1972 Chevelle rear bumper Reply with quote

Looking for a rear bumper to a 1972 Chevelle kit. I believe these were originally MPC, then re-released as Ertl/AMT.

Any leads are appreciated, need it for a project replicating a 1970 Chevelle that had the newer rear bumper swapped in.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey scatpack. If you can't find a '72 Chevelle rear bumper, they are very rare and hard to find, you can modify a 1970 bumper. First strip the chrome and then fill the square brake lights openings. Next sand off the SS bumper pad. Then carefully re-shape the flatter '70 cross section into the more rounder '71/'72 by using a sanding stick. You may have to build up the area a little first using sheet plastic and putty. Prime and check shape. Once you have the shape correct, punch out four discs from some thin Evergreen sheet for the round taillight block offs. A regular paper punch may be close to the correct size. If not, use a circle template then cut out. Glue on then re-chrome bumper using Alclad. A lot of work but it is doable. I've done a few myself this way. I would download a couple photos of the '70 and '71/'72 rear bumpers and use as a reference guide. Good luck!
Bobby
scatpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:
Hey scatpack. If you can't find a '72 Chevelle rear bumper, they are very rare and hard to find, you can modify a 1970 bumper. First strip the chrome and then fill the square brake lights openings. Next sand off the SS bumper pad. Then carefully re-shape the flatter '70 cross section into the more rounder '71/'72 by using a sanding stick. You may have to build up the area a little first using sheet plastic and putty. Prime and check shape. Once you have the shape correct, punch out four discs from some thin Evergreen sheet for the round taillight block offs. A regular paper punch may be close to the correct size. If not, use a circle template then cut out. Glue on then re-chrome bumper using Alclad. A lot of work but it is doable. I've done a few myself this way. I would download a couple photos of the '70 and '71/'72 rear bumpers and use as a reference guide. Good luck!
Bobby

Thanks for the info. I had no idea they were hard to find now. The 1972 Chevelle was a $5 Walmart brown box kit not long ago, it was just one I never bought for some reason. Then again, in reality "not long ago" was probably 15 years ago.

Just a few projects I'd like to gradually do as I liquidate all my other cars I've accumulated and won't get to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Trading Post All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: