Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revell 1970 Superbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Revell 1970 Superbird Reply with quote

How hard, or easy is it to convert the current Revell Superbird into one that Petty used in the 70s?Different engine, chassis modified? I don't think it comes with a roll cage. Not sure if this has been already discussed....new here....J
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Revell 1970 Superbird Reply with quote

DaytonaGuy wrote:
How hard, or easy is it to convert the current Revell Superbird into one that Petty used in the 70s?Different engine, chassis modified? I don't think it comes with a roll cage. Not sure if this has been already discussed....new here....J

I just looked at my Revell Pro Modeller kit, and it's a decent kit to start with for a cup build. The cage isn't complete, and you will need to scratch the rest of it, and the hoop under the hood as well, or just add the AMT Ford cup cage. Suspension is decent front, and rear but will need some more detail added. Has a nice race hemi engine with headers, and dumps. The race tires, and wheels are terrible in the kit, so look for something else in 1:25th scale that will work. I'm blessed as I have a ton of old tires, and wheels that I can sort through until I find some that "look" correct 1:25th scale for this car. Hope this helps some.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Revell 1970 Superbird Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
DaytonaGuy wrote:

I just looked at my Revell Pro Modeller kit, and it's a decent kit to start with for a cup build. The cage isn't complete, and you will need to scratch the rest of it, and the hoop under the hood as well, or just add the AMT Ford cup cage. Suspension is decent front, and rear but will need some more detail added. Has a nice race hemi engine with headers, and dumps. The race tires, and wheels are terrible in the kit, so look for something else in 1:25th scale that will work. I'm blessed as I have a ton of old tires, and wheels that I can sort through until I find some that "look" correct 1:25th scale for this car. Hope this helps some.

You're thinking of the Pro-Modeler Daytona, the question was about the old 1/24 scale Revell-Monogram Superbird.

It's not an easy conversion, depending on your tolerance for inaccuracy. Biggest thing from an exterior appearance standpoint is the vinyl roof that needs to be sanded smooth without losing the definition of the drip rails and window trim. The Revell-Monogram '71 'Cuda can supply the engine but you're on your own for a single carb intake. You can probably adapt a cage from a Monogram Thunderbird NASCAR kit, along with other bits and pieces in 1/24 scale.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Indy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=23191

On The Bench
Buddy build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldnt be too hard. Im currently doing a Dodge Charger Daytona doing Bobby Issac car.Im useing the stock revell daytona stripped out the interior. Im gonna have to cut out the inner fender wells and the wheel wells. Im using PPP wheels and tires and PPP Roll cage. ill post sum pics when i can.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Thanks for straightening me out on that Tom. I don't recall the Monogram kit having a cage, but it does have a vinyl top molded in, and is 1:24th scale. I have built a Petty bird out of one of these kits, used a Monogram Ford cup cage, and a hemi engine from another kit. I don't recall that kit coming with a hemi, if my memory serves me correctly it comes with the 440. Was not that difficult of a build, sanding the top off was the worst part of it. BTW, the tutorial by Wing Car Builder that Indy shows is an excellent reference source on these race car builds.
Gordie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 8 of Bill Coulter's book shows how to convert a Revell '71 GTX into a NASCAR racer. The principles used in this conversion can be used to convert the Revell Superbird as well. The measurements are different due to the differences between the GTX and Superbird floors. For a roll cage donor as well as other parts you will need a Revell eighties Grand Prix, Monte Carlo or Regal. As Tom has already pointed out, for an engine donor you will need a Revell 1/24th 1971 'Cuda. The bathtub intake manifold and the headers will have to be made. If you don't have a copy of Mr. Coulter's excellent book, PM me your address, and I will photocopy the article and mail it to you.

Gordie
herb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dumb ? If someone still make the manifold in resin could you cut it 4 half add material and make it work. And used 1/25 header may be possible. 1/24 = 0.041666 or 0.042" and 1/25 = 0.040" isn't but 0.002" popcorn
Gordie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bathtub intake manifold found in the Model King kits, which are incorrect for those cars, is a surprisingly good fit. You might even get away with using the generic headers from those kits. Presto! A race hemi! Also make sure to use a fan blade that does not have a fan clutch. In real life if you spun one of these at 7000 RPM for long enough, it would come apart at that speed with obvious unpleasant results.

Gordie
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mastered an intake and air box years ago and Ron Andrews casts it in resin.

Here is his Web site address and order info.
http://www.freewebs.com/rmrresin/nforderingcontact.htm
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also save yourself a lot of time and use the JoHan superbird for your project. best results. I did a Revell 20 yrs ago and thru it in the parts box terrible body on it. if you look closely you'll notice the roof is not scale to the car. so save yourself some grief and looking for parts to work and the end result you will be happier with. oh one tip tho is I use the Revell superbird nose on my Johans it files down perfectly. the one in the kit has the indents for the blackout and it looks to narrow for my liking. so if you done wanna use it Ron casts the nose to. here is the Ramo Stott bird I'm still working on.

DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info.....should use Jo Han kit but I just got a deal that can't be beat with a stick. The Revell kit for a whopping $16 and NO shipping charges! What I need to know is where to find Petty decals and I have seen a Superbird, supposedly 43 that had Northstar Truck and Van Lines on the rear quarter? It does come with the 440 and NOT a 426 Hemi....got to scrounge that else where.....J
Rocketman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingcar builder wrote:

Does Ron still cast them, i did not see it on his when I checked last?

http://s209.photobucket.com/user/fuller43/library/#/user/fuller43/library/?sort=3&page=1&_suid=138973518542105887224276954536
Gordie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button in the upper right hand says edit/delete, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to delete this duplicate post.

Last edited by Gordie on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Gordie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DaytonaGuy"]Thanks for all the good info.....should use Jo Han kit but I just got a deal that can't be beat with a stick. The Revell kit for a whopping $16 and NO shipping charges! What I need to know is where to find Petty decals and I have seen a Superbird, supposedly 43 that had Northstar Truck and Van Lines on the rear quarter? It does come with the 440 and NOT a 426 Hemi....got to scrounge that else where.....

Mike's Decals lists a Powerslide/Yesterday's sheet for the 1970-71 Road Runner/Superbird. The best donor for a hemi would be the Revell '71 'Cuda.

Gordie
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocketman wrote:
wingcar builder wrote:

Does Ron still cast them, i did not see it on his when I checked last?

shoot him an email or call the number listed and just tell him what you need.
DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so to "basically" get this rolling-pun intended- I need a roll cage,window net, 426 Hemi and decals. Thats just the "basics"-never mind correct manifold, carb, exhaust, shocks, wheels, etc......J
Rocketman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decals here, from Mikes, and he'll have PPP wheels too :

http://www.mikesdecals.com/product_info.php?products_id=120

http://s209.photobucket.com/user/fuller43/library/#/user/fuller43/library/?sort=3&page=1&_suid=138973518542105887224276954536
DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I ordered the decals and they come with decals for Petty 1971 Roadrunner. I have access to 2 kits, is the Revell 1971 GTX better to use than the Monogram 1971 Satellite? Thanks...J
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're the same basic kit, but I think the GTX version has the more correct hood. It has the one with the hockey stick creases and the air grabber in the center, you will want to use that hood but remove the bulge and air grabber and fill the area between the hockey stick creases with a flat piece of styrene.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. Picked one up and I'll start a build thread as soon as I get working on it. May do this one first......J
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave Ron one of the Satelite hoods as well, don't know if he cast it yet or not.
DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the kit in the mail, I looked at some reference pictures and the body looks like a roadrunner and the roof looks correct in size, shape and scale. I don't see where it looks so wrong, just needs the vinyl roof sanded.
Guess I don't have an artists eye idunno -----J
DaytonaGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has some good Petty '71 Satellite pics. Enjoy!---John
http://mopardealer.com/petty2.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: