Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking advice on masking 88 Bobby Allison Buick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish Murphy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Seeking advice on masking 88 Bobby Allison Buick Reply with quote

Looking for advice on how to mask the white portion I have circled in the picture so that the green pinstripe decal will match correctly. Is it pretty much a eyeball thing or is there a more accurate way?... Thanks
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes to help with masking I'll make a xerox copy of the decals and cut them out. I them use that paper template to lay down my tape.
spooker

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dennis said! If I recall correctly, the green stripes have a white edging which makes them a little wider so the masking isn't quite as critical as it could be.

Brian
Irish Murphy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Sometimes to help with masking I'll make a xerox copy of the decals and cut them out. I them use that paper template to lay down my tape.
Thanks Dennis, Great idea...I haven’t thought of doing that.
Irish Murphy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
What Dennis said! If I recall correctly, the green stripes have a white edging which makes them a little wider so the masking isn't quite as critical as it could be.

Brian
Your correct Brian, I looked and they do have white edging. So yeah at least that will give a little room for error.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.M., if you can find a cheap set of decals somewhere(I've seen them around) you can use those as a base. I do that for difficult paint schemes, I primer it first then lay cheapo set of decals down. After decals dry then I will clear tape over them AND the area to be painted gold (in your case) tape over stripes so that only the white part will get sprayed first. After paint is dry, peel tape and most of the time the decal comes off with the tape leaving you a clear line(white paint) to tape off to spray the gold paint. It's pain staking but will save you time down the road when it comes to decaling. Disclaimer: let your paint dry thoroughly before taping over the white to spray gold, don't ask me how I know Embarassed. Also, cut decal right on the edge of stripes, don't let any of the clear decal that protrudes on when you're doing this. When I 2 tone paint it always leaves a little paint edge, what I do is use a decent amount of Dawn(dime size) and a dish sponge with a rough side and go over the paint/car in circular motions, it cleans any grease/oils off before decaling and takes almost all of that high paint ridge off, and it helps shine up the paint. Hope this helps your build Very Happy
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
BW

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Dennis and spooker, I always print a copy of the decals then cut out and use as a masking guide. Almost foolproof! Just take your time on alignment. Going around complex curves can be tricky. Again, just take your time. Hope this helps.

Bobby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: