Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about the Monogram GM cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Questions about the Monogram GM cars Reply with quote

I've built dozens of the Monogram GM kits and I still think they remain the best stock car kits ever kitted, but that's just my opinion. but I haven't built one in several years and I dug one out of the stash as a slump buster.

Questions I have, 1st, I know Salvinos have the molds and are popping them out again, at a very inflated price, but I digress, are they straight re-issues or did they fix that very troublesome exhaust system? I seem to remember they were offering 3D printed headers, but I don't know if they were including them in the kit or just had them for sale. I know I've updated some of my kits with parts from the Lumina kits ( headers, Heads, intake, valve covers, distributor, rear end, rear end cooler, seat, dash,....list goes on) but I really don't care to rob all of my Lumina kits for those parts. As I remember the exhaust system was pretty much just an experimental system and didn't see much if any race action?

Question #2,
I've heard that the twin shock systems on the kits kind of went away somewhere in that era and was wondering when that might of happened and if I were to eleminate one of the two, which ones should go away the front or the rear mounted ones? And when did the Bilstein's replace the Monroe shocks?

Question #3,

Is the fan shroud black plastic or were they hand fabricated aluminum?

TIA
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salvino's kits are straight re-pops except for glass and tires (they didn't get those parts of the mold) plus whatever new body panels they added (like the Monte Carlo flat nose). Those 180 degree headers were used quite a bit, primarily by Junior Johnson's team.

Twin shocks started going away around '84-'85 although some teams retained a dummy 2nd shock to hide what they were actually using.

All the radiator and oil cooler ductwork was fabricated aluminum.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim (the JR in SalvinoJR) does some of the best 3D printing I have seen, I have bought about 10 sets of his headers alone.
On the shocks, if the car you are building has a Bilstein or Penske shock decal on it, they would be single shock configuration.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
Jim (the JR in SalvinoJR) does some of the best 3D printing I have seen, I have bought about 10 sets of his headers alone.
On the shocks, if the car you are building has a Bilstein or Penske shock decal on it, they would be single shock configuration.

OK, thanks, but which one do I omit, the outboard or the inboard? Probably just build it like it comes in the kit, but just curious.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
The Salvino's kits are straight re-pops except for glass and tires (they didn't get those parts of the mold) plus whatever new body panels they added (like the Monte Carlo flat nose). Those 180 degree headers were used quite a bit, primarily by Junior Johnson's team.

Twin shocks started going away around '84-'85 although some teams retained a dummy 2nd shock to hide what they were actually using.

All the radiator and oil cooler ductwork was fabricated aluminum.

Thank You Tom
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:

Concerning his headers, can they be ordered on the Salvino's site, or does Jim have a separate website for his stuff?

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
jh63fan wrote:

Concerning his headers, can they be ordered on the Salvino's site, or does Jim have a separate website for his stuff?

I was just on the website and I saw no sign of any way to order parts. a site search yielded no results.

🤷‍♂️
Duane Garner

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Rogers of Salvinos JR sells 3d printed parts on his own. You can ask him for a list of what's available at: jim@salvino.us

Last edited by Duane Garner on Thu May 09, 2024 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Duane

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks, but which one do I omit, the outboard or the inboard? Probably just build it like it comes in the kit, but just curious.[/quote]

On the front, keep the two forward shocks. For the rear, going by the Lumina instructions, keep the two closest to the back.
tc

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this apply to the Pontiac,Olds & Buick kits as well?
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
OK, thanks, but which one do I omit, the outboard or the inboard? Probably just build it like it comes in the kit, but just curious.

On the front, keep the two forward shocks. For the rear, going by the Lumina instructions, keep the two closest to the back.[/quote]

Thank You
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tc wrote:
Does this apply to the Pontiac,Olds & Buick kits as well?

I would think so. Everybody was running a chassis built by one of the chassis building companies. The GM cars that Monogram and now Salvino JR produces represent a Laughlin style chassis.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimedog, per your initial post, I agree that they are the best kits of a Nascar ever built. The release of these models spawned an aftermarket industry that was never seen before.
And yes, I agree that the price is a little high. Mike's Decals has them at a little bit of a discount. But if they are producing a certain driver version you want, it's not to bad. Some of the old kits after 40 years are getting scarce, so you are paying $20 to $25 for them. Then you would have to buy a n aftermarket decals sheet. The one's in their kits are produced by Powerslide. A plus is they are made in America. I wish they would have invested in a generic parts tree for these GM cars with an exhaust system and some other parts.
Duane Garner

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad! In my previous post, the email for Jim Rogers was incorrect. I've corrected that post. I am sooo sorry! No excuse, just a mistake!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: