Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a good way to put dents in a plastic body? Firefly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: What is a good way to put dents in a plastic body? Firefly? Reply with quote

What is a good way to put dents in a plastic body? Hair dryer does not have enough heat. Open flame is too hot. I tried a soldering iron. Worked OK at first. The long shaft on the iron gets hot also and makes it hard to heat one small place. Internet showed someone using incense. I do not know if it would be hot enough. Looked like you could pit point the heat, if it is hot enough. If this does not work at least the room would smell good. I may try a thin aluminum can. Looks like this would be hard to get the lines correct. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe try a heat gun? Mine has two settings. I don't remember the exact settings as far as temps go, but one is significantly higher than the other. I've never tried it on a body.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soda can is a little too thick for that. Seen several times where people use heavy duty aluminium foil, burnish over the body panel to make a copy, then replace the panel and inflict the damage. Also heard of using embossing tin or foil, but haven't seen that finished.
TonyK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used a candle. You can move the model around above it to control the heat. Then I use assorted things like pliers, a screwdriver, some type of blunt tool to make the dents. Lots of patience to get the results.
Vdc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sand the bodyshell from inside?

A thinner guage plastic would deform quicker.

If you burn through, you could repair from the inside and perhaps the dent atea edges would look sharper too. More scale correct.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try brake checking Ross Chastain or Kyle Busch!

Actually the methods mentioned above see to work pretty well.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get convincing bent metal? Use metal.

This was done with an aluminum diet coke can:

The hood is actually the original resin, though - but since it was a pretty clean crease, I just scored and bent it a bit.
Some pieces were done with wine bottle foil.
Can aluminum is a bit brittle but the thickness is scale accurate. Trace a panel, cut with snips, bend with needle nose pliers or whatever - take practice, but at least the material is cheap!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
You can try brake checking Ross Chastain or Kyle Busch!

Actually the methods mentioned above see to work pretty well.

Laughing ..up ..laugh3 ..agree
If you have an Industrial Supply house nearby, ask for 10 / thousands thickness Stainless Steel SHIM STOCK. It's not cheap, but one roll will last a lifetime. You will find many uses for this, including interior panels.
GAS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Dents in plastic body Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. While I work on the interior, I will think about how to do this. I am leaning on Firefly's thoughts. Since his model turned out so well, I may be using soft drink can. Any thoughts on how to hang the aluminum to the plastic (epoxy and bondo)?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dents in plastic body Reply with quote

GAS wrote:
... I may be using soft drink can. Any thoughts on how to hang the aluminum to the plastic (epoxy and bondo)?

I used two part epoxy. (the general liquidy kind)

A note about can aluminum - it will be brittle - so working a crease back and forth can crack it apart. That was a challenge with the Montego's sharply creased fender edges. I did reinforce some pieces from behind them with a little Tamiya epoxy putty. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: