Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dale Earnhardt JR 2022 Sun Drop LMSC project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Dale Earnhardt JR 2022 Sun Drop LMSC project Reply with quote

This is my 1st project post in the Fab Shop. I don't build that fast so don't look for daily updates, but I will try to post updates as they happen.

Here is the 1:1 as raced in North Wilkesboro in 2022.

I'll do the parts layout in the next installment. I'm using the 3D printed kit from Jay's stock car. I'll do my best to give a fair and accurate review along the way, Things I like about it, and things I don't. I'll post the build, warts and all and I'm wide open for anyone's thoughts (good and bad) concerning the build and any suggestions to improve it or do things differently.

This is not my first resin build but it is my 1st 3D build, so I'll be learning along the way. Wish me luck!
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to following along. Thank you

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Duane Garner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be good!
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first of many progress reports.

My first impression of this model is WOW! The body is by far the best feature and it specs out to the ABC measurements posted on the 5 Star bodies website, the only exception being the rear Trunk measures a bit long by my measurement . The ABC chart I am using is a bit vague, regardless, it looks spot on to my eye.

The Chassis is printed as one piece, with the quick change rear end and upper roll cage half being separate pieces as is the dash and interior panels. I've not really been able to identify the chassis maker, but it's not that important to me, as they are all fairly a like. The mounting of the rear end as far as I can tell is one of the major differences between the NASCAR late model (Cars tour) and the late models that run the Midwest (ASA tour).
The type found in this kit is accurate for the Cars tour in that the rear end mounts above chassis. (hope that makes sense)

There are 2 issues with the chassis, the first is the interior will be next to impossible to get good paint coverage because the footbox area is enclosed and the interior "X" bar prevents good paint coverage as well. (I don't have an airbrush so rattle can is my only choice)

The front and rear shocks are massively out of scale, I may or may not fix it, I don't think it would be that difficult to replace with shocks from a Monogram or even an AMT kit. Given the detail on some of the other parts, that oversight is curious.

The tires and Wide five Wheels are a one piece print and will take a bit of work to get them round, not sure that will be that important as silly as that sounds, but they will be hidden in the wheel wells, so they shouldn't be that noticeable.

The last major component to the model is the engine, it's printed in just 9 pieces. The engine and transmission as well as the heads are printed as one piece, with the 180 degree exhaust headers and exhaust pipe printed in 2 pieces ( the exhaust looks extremely under scale to the naked eye but I've not measured it) The intake and carburetor, yes these cars run carbs, are printed as one piece. The air cleaner, like the exhaust system, looks small and I don't think the cowl induction style air cleaner is correct, but I have bunches in the parts bin, so if I find one that looks better I'll replace it.

The CARS rulebook requires the use of one of 2 GM Crate motors for the Camaro, I'm not sure which one it depicts, nor am I certain which JR motorsports is . It's not that important to me as this one doesn't need to pass tech.

Going forward I'll try to post the pictures in a more manageable size, but I posted these so that you can see the parts better.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding good reference photos of this car online has been a task, especially interior and under hood pix, so I'll be doing some guess work. Some of the contingency decals can lead to some clues as to which is right, but a lot of it will be left to guess work.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.D. glad you are building this one. Can you share what kit you are using and possibly get your photos a little smaller so the entire model fits in the take.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I plan to address the photo size issues. Those are indeed quite annoying. I will also take better pictures going forward....or try at least.

The kit is from Jay's Stock Car Models, It's available from his facebook page, Etsy, or Print It decals. Though he did mention he maybe moving on from one last 2, or perhaps both, for reasons I don't remember. As of last night he was still on Etsy.

He's been great to deal with and has some great Prints. This same kit is available as a Mustang or the the ABC body (Fusion/Impala/Camry hybrid body)
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if these pictures are too large for your screen, if you're using Chrome Browser, go to the upper right hand corner click on the 3 vertical dots and go to the zoom icon. you can then reduce them to fit your monitor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: