Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clear coating questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Clear coating questions Reply with quote

After seeing some of the fantastic models at the Anniston, Alabama Model Show this past Saturday, I was very impressed with some of the finishes I saw on the paint jobs. A lot of guys are using the PPG Omni clear coat system and I have to say the results were VERY impressive. Especially the way it went over the decals. Also, some of the guys used the Tamiya TS-13 Clear and the results were also impressive.

I used to use Future Floor Finish but after a few mishaps I quit using it. I've also experienced some slight yellowing on white paint jobs. Occasionally I use Testor's Model Master Wet Look Lacquer clear especially over metallic gold. Over the past few years (and a few decal mishaps) I quit clear coating over my decals. However, after seeing some of the finishes this weekend, and pulling off a valuable and rare decal while handling one of my builds recently, I'm considering going back to clear coating over my decals.

My question is which clear coat do you use? Please include your method of applying. (Airbush, rattle can, or brush?) Number of coats, etc. I'm particularly interested in finding out more about using the PPG Omni Clear coat system. I believe it's urethane. Again, mixing, method of applying, drying time, cost, where to purchase, etc.

Thanks to all!

Bobby
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both Tamiya and Mr Hobby clears, and Restoration Shop 2k( urethane) clear.

The Omni Clear system from PPG is their lower line of clear, its a budget clear.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never clear coat the decals. Not saying I'm right or wrong. I have a couple of builds over 30 years old though, no problem. I usually use Testors Ultra gloss over the paint, polish, apply decals using Micro Sol setting solution, then wax with "The Treatment" model wax. Just what works for me.

Tb
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use future......
BW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I never clear coat the decals. Not saying I'm right or wrong. I have a couple of builds over 30 years old though, no problem. I usually use Testors Ultra gloss over the paint, polish, apply decals using Micro Sol setting solution, then wax with "The Treatment" model wax. Just what works for me.

Tb

I'm with you Tom. I've been doing exactly the same as you. I've got decals that are several years old and they are holding up well without clear coat. I ran out of The Treatment wax a few years ago and have found it hard to get so I got hooked on the Novus wax system and found it works as good as The Treatment wax.

I was just so impressed with the finish some of the builders have got using PPG clear coat. Made the decals look as if they were painted on. I just wanted some opinions on using the urethane clear coats. Thanks Tom.

Bobby
BW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I still use future......

I still do as well. On certain parts. I use it all the time on my tires before I decal them. Thanks Dennis.

Bobby
BW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
I use both Tamiya and Mr Hobby clears, and Restoration Shop 2k( urethane) clear.

The Omni Clear system from PPG is their lower line of clear, its a budget clear.

Curious on how you like the Tamiya. Is it the Tamiya TS-13 Clear? I'm sold on their TS line of paints so I'm sure the TS-13 Clear works just as well. Thanks martinfan!

Bobby
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:
martinfan wrote:

Curious on how you like the Tamiya. Is it the Tamiya TS-13 Clear? I'm sold on their TS line of paints so I'm sure the TS-13 Clear works just as well. Thanks martinfan!

Bobby

Its a very good clear, one of the best clears in the hobby you can get, at time it was noted that it could be too hot for some decals, but I think that was before the state of California made them reformulate it. I thinks it milder now.

Its worth the money and I use it , or Mr Hobby Super Clear when I dont want to mess with the 2k clear.

Last edited by martinfan on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:

Tb

Some decals need to be cleared coated, but sounds like you dont use those types of decals.
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I still use future......

I bet you have some very nice looking floors Wink Laughing Laughing

Never had luck with that stuff, always cracks on me, so not worth my time anymore.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Future on my original MPC Petty Plymouth and it held up for years, until the move to NM and a number of things went into a non-climate controlled storage unit in July 2005. Could never find the container this and other kits/builds were in. did not get to that particular container/box until Jan, 2006 when we moved into the house. Have a feeling that storage container had to be near the uninsulated roof for those 6 months. When I finally got to that build, the roof roof number decal had cracked.....
For whatever reason, I was not there to keep an eye on what I had saved of my model collection......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: