Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1963 Petty Martinsville

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winstonhokie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: 1963 Petty Martinsville Reply with quote

Looking for a needle in a hay stack.
Looking to prepare a present for my dad’s 75th birthday.
The first race he took me to was Bristol Fall race in 1976 and Cale Yarborough won in a 1974 Holly Farms MC. I have that model.

My brothers first race was Rockingham in Spring of 1990. 90 Peak Antifreeze Pontiac by Kyle Petty.

For a surprise I finally got my hands on a 63 Plymouth Johan model to build the Petty car he won in 5e Spring of 63 at Martinsville for my dad first race.

Would anyone have any pictures from that race?
What was on quarter panel? What color tires wheels? I’ve heard my dad say chrome for that race?

Guessing silver interior?
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check my old race programs & see if I have a pix of the car. Back in those days Petty interior was same color as the body.
Bill
john843

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for that race but a good deal of the time in '63 Richards car had the heavily shadowed, large script "Plymouth" kind of draping, on the quarters.

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any clue, this was a week earlier, at South Boston. Looks like blue wheels. The sponsorship looks like a Bristol, TN Plymouth dealer, which might have carried over from the Bristol event two weeks before that.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a small pix in the 63 Racing Pictorial of the car in the Spring at Martinsville. Looks like nothing on rear quaterpanel.
Bill
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack but that tire on the ground sure looks scrawny compared to the rubber on the '63 and'64 Galaxies in the Fireball thread. Wondered if it was a pony tire there for some reason?

John
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
There was a small pix in the 63 Racing Pictorial of the car in the Spring at Martinsville. Looks like nothing on rear quaterpanel.
Bill

I agree with Bill. While there are some decent photos of the race, they either don't show Petty, barely show him, or show him in victory lane with only the roof visible. But in the one shot that you could pretty much make out the passenger quarter, it seemed to look empty.

John
winstonhokie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: 63 Petty Martinsville Reply with quote

My dad did photography for the local races for the Pulaski Southwest Times. Only picture I could find was a very close up of Richard going thru turns 3 & 4 and only shows Richard and top of 43 on the driver door.

Was just hoping someone may have taken pictures from stands?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: