Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#4 Captn Coty´s Delta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: #4 Captn Coty´s Delta Reply with quote

1986 Oldsmobile Delta #4 "Captn Coty´s Restaurant" Rick Wilson
JNJ Decal 86-113

1986 NASCAR Winston Cup, Rick Wilson
Owner: Larry McClure Racing / Crew Chief: Tony Glover
Best finish: 7th "Daytona 500" Daytona Internatinal Speedway, FL
Rankings: Top10 - 4 / led laps 7
Cup: 28th / started 17 of 29 races / 1698 points
Paint Scheme run in 3 races (Oldsmobile Delta 2 races / Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1 race);
other races run with sponsor "Kodak Film"
data sheet by Racing-Reference.info
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen that car before.....very nice.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build! ... but your Olds emblems are upside down.
scatpack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a collection of 100's of decals to get that sheet, though I've heard most disintegrate when they hit water due to the age.

This came out well, and as noted the Olds decals are upside down. This is where imagination can be fun. Captn' Coty's was the sponsor for the 1986 Daytona 500 and probably some other early season races before Kodak (or was Kodak strictly 1987?). Maybe Morgan-McClure were trying to subtly tell Olds they needed more support? After all, they switched to Chevy mid-season a few years later when Ernie Irvan was driving, and promptly went on to win the Daytona 500. Can't remember if the first win at Bristol was Chevy or Olds, that was right around the changeover. Same engines/chassis, though those were the days when different heads were allowed between GM manufacturers, but obviously different bodywork can create advantages especially on the bigger tracks. Olds didn't have a whole lot of luck unless the driver's name was Harry Gant.
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
Nice build! ... but your Olds emblems are upside down.

Ohhhh damn ... thanx for your information ... i have to correct this emblems
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Paint scheme Reply with quote

I´ve found these picture of Wilson´s car and the decal sheet shown position of the "Captn Coty´s" letters on the hood in another position, dont knew whats right?
scatpack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint scheme Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:

I´ve found these picture of Wilson´s car and the decal sheet shown position of the "Captn Coty´s" letters on the hood in another position, dont knew whats right?

I personally wouldn't change anything. The instruction sheet is crude and basically all I would take from it is approximate placement. Decals were replaced from race to race/different cars in the fleet and could be a little off-center etc., but I think the intention was to center the hood decal. Notice how the car used in the instructions is a Thunderbird like the Kyle Petty car you built.

Also, in your photo the car doesn't even have Olds logos on the B-pillars. Just use your imagination. Look back at the car years from now and say "Hah, they're upside down". Perhaps you are a Chickenfoot fan? I think that band has a logo similar to what you created with the upside down Olds rocket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: