Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Salvino modified available on Mike’s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: New Salvino modified available on Mike’s Reply with quote

Hey all, for those of you (like me) who want a Salvinos modified, the Burt Myers ones are available from Mike as of today. I was in contact with him about them and he sent me an email tonight saying they were up on the site.

Better hurry though… the first ones seem impossible to find and if you can come across one on ebay they are expensive.
Papadoc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up!!

Is there a reason for them to not keep the modified kits rolling? I really don't want to buy any new models now but I also don't want to miss out. Really want to build a modified for my collection.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i understand, and if i’m wrong someone please jump in and correct me, but Salvinos had to find a partner to fund the kit, as it was going to be more expensive than what they wanted or were able to spend. Seems that Wes’ Model Car Corner jumped in… my LHS said that the modified hasn’t been showing up on their distributor website. Also it hasn’t been on Salvinos website either.

So, again, get ‘em while they’re hot… and available.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked Mike’s site out of curiosity and they are sold out ALREADY

Oh, on a side note, i will have one available for sale in a week or so, asking price will be eleventy billion dollars. Also have a Salvino Roadrunner available for the same price. Laughing
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's a message for Salvino JR. Instead of twenty different Camaros, how about a couple modifieds. I imagine the resin casters and 3D printers would get involved with some parts for variations. Can't do that for the spec Camaro..
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at Wes's site and he is out of stock also.
He is involved with producing this kit as you said, so I thought maybe he would have some.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike has some now, just bought one. Looks like he's releasing his a few at a time.
Reyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Salvinos is producing the modified for Wes, but the sales and distribution is Wes’s deal. I could be wrong, but I don’t foresee Salvinos JR models popping out any Modifieds of their own anytime soon.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the overall details are with Salvinos and other parties, it's pretty cool to be seeing words like 'sold out' popping up around recent model kit releases.

Obviously, no kit will ever be perfect down to the last rivet, but great to learn of these success stories nowadays. Can't say that many of us were anticipating this happening a few years back.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike’s is showing sold out again.
WR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Motorsports Hobbies has them
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Southern Motorsports Hobbies has them

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one.

There are what I understand, 3 more versions( drivers) coming, and from it sounds like, each run of the kit is going to be 2500 pieces each, it is being said elsewhere on the internet, Salvinos is making the run of this kit small on purpose to make it a collectible.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo... model builders have waited for ages to get a modern style modified and they are creating artificial scarcity? I don't understand it.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to Wes Hurst of Wes's Model Car Corner to decide on run size.
Wes has chosen 2500 per driver going out.
Salvino's doesn't control those numbers.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyst wrote:
I believe Salvinos is producing the modified for Wes, but the sales and distribution is Wes’s deal. I could be wrong, but I don’t foresee Salvinos JR models popping out any Modifieds of their own anytime soon.

Correct.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on if they will ever release one without decals like they did for some of the NASCAR kits? Also, we're there ever any pre-orders for these? I don't remember see anything about them prior to them popping up on Mike's site.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razorback 46 wrote:
Any word on if they will ever release one without decals like they did for some of the NASCAR kits? Also, we're there ever any pre-orders for these? I don't remember see anything about them prior to them popping up on Mike's site.

That would be between Wes and Mike, I suspect.

Apparently there are teams asking for their car to be done as a future release, so no generic kits yet.
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, we're there ever any pre-orders for these? I don't remember see anything about them prior to them popping up on Mike's site.

Mike's the best dealers around. I'm pretty sure he doesn't do pre-orders, but if you send him an email that you are interested in purchasing a kit, when they are back in stock he will send you an email.

He does it for decals and kits. A while back I asked him about the old and hard to find Terry Labonte Iron Man decals that were out of stock. A month or so later he emailed me that he picked up a set if I was still interested (and yes, I was interested and bought the decals for what they were worth). He also did the same on the modified kits, he let me know when they would probably be available again and then emailed me when they arrived. So I was able to buy the kit and the Newman modified decals (which look great BTW). Which is why he's my go-to for kits and decals.

Doug
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike does do pre-orders on some items that are anticipated to be hot sellers. He will post on his site about contacting him directly thru the site and he will arrange for some sort of partial pre-payment. He did it with the first modified, actually.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not privy to the exact details of the various agreements but based on what I do know about private runs and the typical contracts with drivers and NASCAR there are a few factors at work.

First, between January 1 and the Daytona 500 (maybe even the Fontana Clash) Salvino's will be contractually obligated to deliver some known quantity of 2022 and 2023 Camaros and Mustangs for distribution through the NASCAR souvenir trailers, affiliated websites and storefronts, and the teams themselves. I believe that's why the first two runs of Modifieds were slipped in during the month of December and the short run '71 Roadrunner was slipped in during November, to take advantage of a time when interest in 2022 NASCAR schemes was lower and to clear the plate to run wide-open on meeting delivery contracts on the 2023 NASCAR contract.

Second, it's typical for most of the private label contracts to require most or all of the payment up-front for the kits. I can't blame Wes for being a little conservative on the first run, now he's presumably built up some operating capital and has a better understanding of how many actual cash-in-hand buyers for his products are out there. I don't disagree with his policy of limiting numbers of each set of decals/box art since the plastic is unchanged, if I was planning and marketing those kits I would try to hit different regions and series with those team-specific runs to keep each run a sellout and avoid having to discount to move subsequent runs. They will definitely need to be scheduled around the increasing number of contracts Salvino's is becoming obligated to, however. In addition to their current NASCAR contract they are rumored to be obligated to release a set number of versions of kits for each of their historic driver/team licensing deals as well and they've pretty well plucked the low-hanging fruit of the Disco Monte/Olds 442/old Monogram G-body tooling. I look for them to hit some Monogram Thunderbird low-hanging fruit to fulfill their Allison/Ranier/Yarborough/JJ&A contracts with the '81-'82, '83-'86, '87-'88, and '89-'93 Thunderbird tools over the next couple of years.

As far as more historic tooling I don't see any historic Ford/Mercury tooling in the near future, just repops of the existing tooling they acquired from Atlantis through the Revell sale of assets. Their plate is too full of other obligations and other than a couple of versions of an Allison Big Bird I don't see much opportunity for them to fulfill their current obligations with a Ford or Mercury. They've committed to doing a Superbird, they might leverage that into a Daytona in the future to cover more Baker/Allison obligations (I know that nothing is interchangeable in the 1:1 between the Daytona and Superbird but in the scale model world the mold core should be mostly re-usable with a different cavity half and slides along with inserts or a different sprue for nosecone/wings/fender scoops between Daytona and Superbird) but that's probably wishful thinking.

After that, what's really left that could be released as a Petty car? I don't see them doing a late '50s-early '60s car. Maybe a dedicated '66-'67 Belvedere race car? '68 Roadrunner (which would have few other options beyond the Petty version)? '65 Barracuda drag car?

As I say, no current insider info but that's how I see it going.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tom. Do not know what or if Wes used any distributors or not. I know my hobby shop was having to contact Salvino & Wes directly. I ordered a Myers’s kit from an online hobby shop in September and as of yesterday, his distributor still doesn’t have any of the kits.
Bill
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Agree with Tom. Do not know what or if Wes used any distributors or not. I know my hobby shop was having to contact Salvino & Wes directly. I ordered a Myers’s kit from an online hobby shop in September and as of yesterday, his distributor still doesn’t have any of the kits.
Bill

I was planning on getting my modifieds from my LHS but they never popped up on his distributor’s list of available items. I do believe the distributor is HobbyTyme, if that sounds right. The problem was that he was looking under Salvinos heading and they never showed up, but he managed to find them under Wes’s Model Car Corner heading and *bingo* there they were. Too bad i had given up on him getting them and went ahead and ordered 2 Myers ones from Mike’s by that point.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Ford I can see as a maybe is Montego/Cougar. I forget which one or year it was but other that the Woods, Moore/Allison tried one for a while. And the last Merc Penske ran was the same IIRC. So you can get 3 big teams and maybe a few independents or ARCA. Just a hope and a prayer more than likely.
TonyK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the Myers Modified from Mike's on December 28th and it still says "pending". A bit odd.

Got the other modified from him also so confident it will all work out.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ordered the Myers Modified from Mike's on December 28th and it still says "pending". A bit odd.

Me too.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me three.....
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an update that mine shipped today...
TonyK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine the other day, looked thru one of them, pretty impressive (& accurate). My only disappointment is the body isn't removable, might just build up a naked chassis for display. Our former neighbor's son was modified track champ 2 or 3 years in a row at Spencer Speedway, near Rochester, NY.
randman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike had a note on the website last night that there were going to be some delays if you had the Burt Myers kit as part or your order due to the volume of orders received. It looks like they are catching up and are now shipping as others have indicated.
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I just got a shipping notice for mine from Southern Motorsports Hobbies, I ordered it on the 30th of Dec, less than 24 hours, the listing was gone from the website.

I sent Ronnie an email the other day to get an update and it sounds like it wasnt in stock when I ordered it but he was able to procure a few more.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some vendors are spreading out their inventory instead of putting all of them available at one time
Bill
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes is learning the distribution system with these releases.
Please give him time. Smile
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike had 2 more Meyers kits online tonite. I was a little slow at checkout & missed on both
Bill
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're selling like hotcakes!
Taz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else checked e-bay? one is being bid on right now and it's at $177.00 Shocked and there is still over 2 days left to bid.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
Has anyone else checked e-bay? one is being bid on right now and it's at $177.00 Shocked and there is still over 2 days left to bid.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

If that’s the same auction i saw, it is for both the #4 and #1 together.

However, the highest i saw a #4 go for was $102 😳
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an idiot I am, I plan on using mine as the base to build an extreme figure 8 car. Ah, when you get old you can do what you darn well please. ..cheers
Taz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l
18 degrees wrote.......

However, the highest i saw a #4 go for was $102

No it's just one . https://www.ebay.com/itm/304758464531

Ron
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
l
18 degrees wrote.......

However, the highest i saw a #4 go for was $102

No it's just one . https://www.ebay.com/itm/304758464531

Ron

Holy crap…

Base on this, i would sell my second one for $150 if anyone is interested 🤣
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next 3 modified runs are the Boehler # 3 and two others, the Boehler kit will be 2500 units, the other 2 will be 1500.

I foresee a number of people copying and 3D printing this kit on the side, if the demand remains high. I'm not condoning or condeming such an action. But the facts are 3D printers are becoming more available to the masses. Right now, I am hesitant to build the few I have, they may finance my retirement one day.

Salvino's has Nascar Gen 6 contracts to fill, they may not have the time to make another run of modifieds anytime soon. I highly doubt they would lease out the tooling to another company either. So there you have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: