Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2005 Taurus Kit - Wheels/Tires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: 2005 Taurus Kit - Wheels/Tires Reply with quote

I am finishing up my first 2005 Taurus kit, and kit-building as the #17 Kenseth DeWalt Car.

Overall the kit want together really well and turned out well. I will likely post in showroom once I set up a place to take some decent pictures.

One area of the kit that I struggled with was the fit of the tires on the wheels. They do not sit flush with the outer lip, and look set back. These are hollow tires with very pronounced grooves for the tires to sit into.

Is there something I am missing, or tips to correct? Pics show the situation

Taz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did with those rims was to glue a wrap of thin solder around the rim against the square inner part of the rim. This takes up space to force the tire against the outside of the rim.I usually install the tires on painted rims then do the detail on the tires . You may have to install the tires from the inside of the rim and force over to the outside.

Ron
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Ron. I typically detail the tires off the rims then install. I should be able to remove these and see if I can make that work as well.

I have another one of these kits that I was going to build into Mark Martin's 2005 All-star race win, so I am ok "experimenting" a little with this one to get it right.
bigryan18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmount the tires and use sprue cutters to remove the 2nd ring around the ring that's close to the inner wheel lip. Doing this will let the tires sit flush on the rim..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: