Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPC bodys on the AMT Chassis.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: MPC bodys on the AMT Chassis....... Reply with quote

Has anyone tried any of the old MPC re-issued bodies (the 15 Torino, the Pepsi Chevy) on any of the AMT chassis, like the Lumina, Olds, TBird?

I don't know how accurate they would be, but I cant imagine they would be any less accurate than the kit chassis.

Any thoughts?
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT chassis needs to be lengthened, switch to dual shocks and remove the oil tank from behind the driver's seat, which needs to be changed out for an older design. Sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad.
The Polar Lights Talladega chassis is the right length and more period correct except it is a leaf spring car.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've got a couple of the Torino s, I might give it a shot.
Does the AMT kit have the oil tank in the interior? I know the Monogram kits do.
Also, I'm guessing, the front steer cars didnt come into vogue until the 80s and wouldn't be anywhere near correct?
I've got a bunch of the AMT kits, heck, I've got a bunch of the PL kits too, but I have plans for the PL kits, not so much for the AMTs.
Either way, im not looking for a contest model, just something that looks "better" on the shelf.

Speaking of the Torino, who ran one other than Bud Moore?
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the AMT kits, the oil tank housing is a separate part behind the driver's seat. I guess you could remove the tierod assembly, and if it doesn't interfere with the oil pan, attach it to the back side of the suspension.
You will need to lengthen the frame about 3/16" if I remember correctly. I go back about 1" on the side frame rails from the front and cut in. Then cut parallel toward the front to free that section. This way it is stronger and easier to re-attach, fill in the vacant area with some strip plastic. I have done this on both AMT and Monogram kits.
jokar124

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
The AMT chassis needs to be lengthened, switch to dual shocks and remove the oil tank from behind the driver's seat, which needs to be changed out for an older design. Sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad.
The Polar Lights Talladega chassis is the right length and more period correct except it is a leaf spring car.

What if you start with the Polar Lights Talladega/Cyclone chassis and switch out the rear suspension with a short or long truck-arm setup? Would that be more accurate and maybe easier? Which kits could donate the most accurate truck arms?
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokar, I personally would do what you suggested, use the Polar Lights chassis and the truck arms from the AMT or possibly a Monogram set up. That would take 2 kits though. I mentioned the AMT modifications to Crimedog because he said all his PL kits were already designated for certain projects.
jokar124

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
Jokar, I personally would do what you suggested, use the Polar Lights chassis and the truck arms from the AMT or possibly a Monogram set up. That would take 2 kits though. I mentioned the AMT modifications to Crimedog because he said all his PL kits were already designated for certain projects.

I just checked a truck arm setup from the Monogram Kyle Petty/Peak Pontiac on the PL Ford chassis and it looks like a good fit with minor trimming. I'll check AMT and Revell versions at some point also. Luckily I have several Monogram and Revell ProFinish chassis donors available because I use the bodies for slot racing. Thanks for your suggestion, jh63fan!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to watch for on the AMT NASCAR chassis, the rear wheel tubs aren't symmetrical left and right. One is ahead of the other by almost 1/16" and it makes it a bear to position the kit body so that both tubs are covered by the wheel openings molded into the MPC bodies. Drives me nuts sometimes, especially on the Lagunas. The MPC bodies are tough to make work, the AMT Malibu/Laguna is impossible without closing up the wheelwells some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: