Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48RyMckCa48

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Paint removal Reply with quote

Ok I have asked this question several times and don't remember it I got a answer or not, but I have destroyed 4 maybe 5 models and or chassis, now I have another in the dunk tank and not having good luck getting the paint off, so I am asking is there a good paint remover that will remove the paint without destroying the part or frame/body? Supper clean doesn't work, fingernail polish works but with a price it eats the part. I cant be the only one that has had this problem, or is it my painting?

I start a model by cleaning the part of flash lines then prime with tamiya primer and then with Krylon gloss pewter gray unless the frame and under coat is the same color as the body. This could be my problem but never had the problem until now.

I know the older cars used the same color on the frames as well on the body then switched to using the lighter color chassis on the frame and under coat.

So I need some advice so I dont destroy any more kits. Some help please.
On the Bench: Marty Robbins Buick, 4 Saturday Night Stockers, #88 Crisco Car, AH-60L Dap Black Hawk Helicopter, Millennium Falcon. THATS ENOUGH!!!!
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when all else fails brake fluid works. Plus it can weaken the glue joint if it was old tube glue. the problem is clean up is messy and makes a mess. Then you need to wipe it off, air dry and then clean it before primer.
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule is Purple Power for Enamel and primers.

91% alcohol for lacquers & urethane.

If it doesn't come off in one try the other.

BTW 70% alcohol doesn't work. Must be 91%
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: I have found all strippers work better, Reply with quote

I have found all strippers work better in a warm or hot summer environment.
I use large Tupperware containers and keep them clean to contain all fluids. I use 91% alcohol but keep it (and all strippers) far away from any open flames, like Furnaces, hot water heaters, dryers, etc. I take all strippers to a jiffy lube I use for disposal $2.50 per container, Great deal and is environmentally friendly.
48RyMckCa48

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: paint remover Reply with quote

I tried the 91% alcohol and it didnt work so back to the drawing board. I dont know maybe its the paint I am using.
On the Bench: Marty Robbins Buick, 4 Saturday Night Stockers, #88 Crisco Car, AH-60L Dap Black Hawk Helicopter, Millennium Falcon. THATS ENOUGH!!!!
Rocketman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scalecoat paint remover. Pricey but removes EVERYTHING including Tamiya TS sprays without trashing the plastic.
https://www.walthers.com/paint-stripper-remover-for-plastics-16oz-473ml-bottle?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Smart+Shopping+Campaign+%231+-+April+2020+Start&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7533534066&hsa_cam=17573046479&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiApvebBhAvEiwAe7mHSLQF3_5hhA3Vfmxq7_icNWrYSC2Xq0yZEmkawGTPJ8fMytFAvcOAORoCjg4QAvD_BwE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: