Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'65 Comet to a '66 Cyclone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: '65 Comet to a '66 Cyclone? Reply with quote

How hard would it be to do, is it even close? They appear to be close, just thinking out loud. I've got the '65 Comet kit, and was considering such a project. Thanks for any thoughts, or ideas on this project.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 67 would be much closer there are still differences but a 67 body is much closer, grille and tail lights are different but if it will be a NASCAR model it will be easier than stock and if it will be a short track car even easier... That's just my opinion there are lots of better builder's here that may have much better ideas....
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The 67 Is the only place to start. The 65 is completely different.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the 65 is not close to a 66 Comet Cyclone. The 67 is nearly the same car, different front and rear areas.

I passed up an opportunity to buy the 66 grilles and bumpers on ebay recently, should have bought them. I would have had to fabricate the section between the top and bottom grilles, other than that it would have been easy.

If you can latch onto a 66 Promo, that is in good shape, that would be easiest. They usually are pricey though. If I had a promo, I would cut off the front of the body and put it on a 67 AMT kit body. Mainly because the promo is likely acetate and probably warped on the body.

Good luck with your quest. I believe the 65 is even a shorter wheelbase car, besides being the wrong shape.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. You've confirmed what I thought, and the 1965 Comet did come up short, compared to the 1966 Fairlane wheel base. Oh well, so much for that idea.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person selling the 66 Cyclone bumpers, front grilles and taillights had that listed again on eBay. Apparently they have them from time to time, cast in resin and needing some Alclad to finish.

It will likely be challenging to turn the 67 AMT kit into a 66 but I am going to give it a shot sometime. The front and rear are pretty different between the 66 and 67. Probably be filling, sanding and lots of fitting involved, worth a try. I have had the 67 kit forever and have no other plans for it.
I want to make a 66 Bud Moore, Darel Dieringer car.

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a body basically converted. I bought a '66 promo with a crushed roof and cut off the '66 specific parts. They fit the AMT Cyclone body almost perfectly.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
I have a body basically converted. I bought a '66 promo with a crushed roof and cut off the '66 specific parts. They fit the AMT Cyclone body almost perfectly.

Yes you did, that would be this one I believe.

Did you ever finish this model?

Jerry
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cooment from the late Jerry Sims:

LUKE'57
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 pm Post subject:

Those cars had fender extensions that allowed the change over from '66 to '67 to be fairly easy. What is needed for the models is a
complete front and rear "cap" section in resin and a '66 rear bumper.

I think the front bumper is the same for both years so you could cast the grills and fender extension together along with the rear
extension complete with bumper and just foil or alclad it and only need two molds.

With the real cars having a panel seperating "groove", the conversion would be a no bodywork, no putty "drop in" fix.

I'll have to check the measurements on the old AMT '66 against the new tool '67 to see if they match, Any caster out there want to do
one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: