Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire/wheel prep/assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Tire/wheel prep/assembly Reply with quote

This is a basic technique question, but I am curious..

I have been doing the painting/decaling on my tires before assembly (smooth tread, light gloss coat, decals, flat coat). then doing most of the painting/detailing on the wheels separately, then assembling them together once they are complete.

Some are assembling before either/both are complete. The dime as a mask technique is what clued me in on this. Is there a reason to do that specifically, or is it just a personal preference?
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen aftermarket/resin wheel and tire molded as one. That's where people were using the dime for a mask.
I prepare my wheels and tires the way you mentioned in the beginning
Taz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decal and flat finish before instaling rims on the older hard vinyl tires however the newer soft tires I paint and install the rims before decaling and flat coating, I found a few times pushing the rims into the soft tires damaged the decals and flat finish. I use those plastic caps for sealing auto hoses ( look like a top hat) for a cover on the rims before I spray the flat.
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two good reasons why! I have only been building kits with the old monogram solid rubber tires. Thanks for clearing that up!
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the dime. I sand my tires down and paint and clear the wheels. I then mount the wheels on the tires, do all the detail work (Center hubs, lugs, red/yellow/etc rings) then any decals on the wheels and tires. I coat it all with future then once it's dry I put a dime over the wheels and shoot the tire with dull coat. I do this because I've had instances in the past where installing the wheels on the tires has messed up some of the fine detailing. It saves me from having to be paranoid about where I'm putting pressure when I'm assembling them.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to push hard to get the tire in the wheel and can damage the decal, so I build first and then do the painting and decaling and dullcoat the tire with a brush, so I don't need to do the dime trick.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ:
Quote:
Sometimes you have to push hard to get the tire in the wheel and can damage the decal, so I build first and then do the painting and decaling and dullcoat the tire with a brush, so I don't need to do the dime trick.

What do you use for a brush on dull coat? I'm interested in trying that.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
MarkJ:
Quote:

What do you use for a brush on dull coat? I'm interested in trying that.

Just a regular old brush you can buy in one of those cheap assortment packages. One that's about half as wide as the sidewall. just one coat does the trick to seal and protect the tire decal and make the tire look more realistic. It actually cleans up pretty well with dawn dish washing detergent, even though I believe its lacquer. Just don't wait too long to clean it.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ: What product do you use? Is it a Tamiya?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
MarkJ: What product do you use? Is it a Tamiya?

It's a Testors product, but it says it's a Rust oleum product on the back of the bottle. You can get it at Hobby Lobby.

hurricane21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarkJ. I appreciate it. Gonna give it a try.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
Thanks MarkJ. I appreciate it. Gonna give it a try.

I was surprised to see it at hobby lobby. I thought it went away a long time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: