Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Acto Knife

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: X-Acto Knife Reply with quote

Being a “seasoned modeler “ for 50 years I remember going to the local hobby shop and buying REAL Xacto blades instead of this Far East junk metal that Hobby Lobby sells! My question is this: Where do I go to find REAL Old School X-Acto knife blades that aren’t paper thin and last for more than 1 or 2 kits?!
Thanks!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Michaels Crafts sells genuine Xacto blades.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even brand name X-Acto blades are not what they were. I bought some #11 blades from Japan that were fantastic. So good I cut my hand from wrist to base of thumb to the bone. The ER doctor said it was the cleanest cut he had ever seen. Still have a huge scar. They are out there....but I don't buy them any more.....still blood in my car from that ride to the ER!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan
Know what yo mean abot cutting one's selg with and X-Acto blade.
My "experience" dates back top around 1975/76, was working on an HO scale freight car with a rather old blade (as in somewhat dull) when it slipped off the car and the tip slashed across the tip of my left middle finger. Talk about seeing stars!! Had hit a nerve and the tip of that finger where it was cut lost feeling in that art of the finger....Oh, the car i was working on went flying across the room. Didn't go to the ER, but almost did, as it didn't want to stop bleeding....but eventially did. Also never finished what i was doing with that car...
That ws back when I built model cars as well as dabbling in model railroading.....
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to chime in on this topic. I have a scar on my left index finger that runs from the knuckle up to the nail and down the side courtesy of a #2 X-Acto knife with a scalpel blade. It was listed as an identifying mark on my draft card.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here of late I have had better luck with Excel blades than the Xatco ones.
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: X-ACTO Blades Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! My thumbprints looked like "Rasslers" forehead from holding the small parts and cutting off the flash, did toughened up though!
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Xacto blades are pricey compared to the imitators. But even Xacto sells a cheap line of a blueish colored blade. Not as rigid or durable.
BW

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Here of late I have had better luck with Excel blades than the Xatco ones.

I agree. The Excel blades are pretty good. I used to love the old Testor's brand (the one's with the "blueish" hue to them) but they quit selling them, or least I'm unable to find them. The Testor's were the sharpest I'd ever used.
-Bobby
lefty1820

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: I get mine Reply with quote

I get mine from my local L&M Fleet supply, 100ct for $12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: