Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford Crown Vic Racer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Ford Crown Vic Racer Reply with quote

If you've been to any short track racing anywhere in the midwest the last couple of years it's almost impossible to not at one time or another seen the popular Crown Vic racing series. Rules vary slightly from track to track, but the basic rules are in place. Ford CV or the Mercury counter part are raced almost completely stock with very limited modifications. The whole idea is for it to be an entry level, grass roots racing series that racers can cut their teeth on and more importantly have fun.

I built this one from a Lindberg Ohio State Police CV kit. It's mostly done, but could still stand some cleanup and tweeking.

I followed the rules for the Indiana area CV racing series, I found posted on line.

I removed the opera glass and frame as well as all the windows except for the windshield. I made no modifications to the undercarriage , about the only thing allowed is some exhaust modifications , but since this is a snap kit the entire exhaust system was retained. I added tires from the parts box and board member Bob Krammer was generous enough to supply the wheels and centers from a Revell Chevy Impala Police car kit ( thanks again Bob) I skirted the rules by using Revell big and littles , the tires are to be the same size on the 1:1 cars. Rules allow for replacement from 17 Dodge Charger, not sure how close these are, but they look the part.

The A pillar rear view mirrors are also required to be omitted , so I complied by hacking mine out with a dremel. In my haste to complete the model I forgot to include a cage mounted mirror so tech is going to be troublesome for this enty. The taillights and headlight are also removed, I sanded off the texture of the headlights and painted them black. I left the taillights off and opened up the mounting holes for the lights and it looks close enough to the prototype to satisfy me.

The exterior door handles were also removed an the body got one coat of Testors Bright red enamel from a rattle can , which a week later is still tacky. I sprayed it over duplicolor flat white primer.

The interior was modified by first removing the 3rd brake light and what I presume to be speakers from the rear package tray, the rules require a 3/8 inch steel plate to be welded to the driver side door, I complied with the rules but it's completely hidden by the modified AMT Nascar roll cage. A required fire bottle and racing seat was also lifted from the same AMT Nascar kit as was the racing steering wheel. The Dash was gutted of its radio and other dash components, but like the prototype, I retained the stock speedometer and the Heater control was also left in place. The rear seat was removed and replaced with sheet styrene.

The decals were a mix of a Slixx Mom and Pop sheet, a Slixx numbers sheet, and a Slixx goodies sheet for the hood and deck pins. The Lindberg kit provided the modified yellow decals for the rear bumper rookie stripes . I payed homage to the OSP by using the rear license plate decal. I also used the CV fender and rear deck decals, presumably the sign maker printed and applied them as a joke, or as a testament to what they can create with vinyl. : ) I'm pretty sure most tracks require the emblems be removed.

It was built hopefully as a slump buster, it was a lot of fun even if the results were mixed. Anyway, thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crown Vic series is alive and well in the Louisville/Southern Indiana. They have started running these cars on the 1/2 miles high banks at Salem Indiana and the at the 1/4 mile bullring Sportsdrome in Jeffersonville. Good series, inexpensive and the are plentiful (for now).

Cool to see a model of these low buck racers. Well done.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
The Crown Vic series is alive and well in the Louisville/Southern Indiana. They have started running these cars on the 1/2 miles high banks at Salem Indiana and the at the 1/4 mile bullring Sportsdrome in Jeffersonville. Good series, inexpensive and the are plentiful (for now).

Cool to see a model of these low buck racers. Well done.

Thanks, the inspiration to build this actually came from a pair of youtube videos from Salem. The first one was Will Kimmell testing and the other a was an actual in car racing video.

Kimmell pulled his into the track in an enclosed trailer, and was using on board computers , both of which I doubt any of the other competitors have. Laughing

Kimmell reported lap speeds of around 85 MPH on the half mile, the other video was on the short track.

I saw them several times last year in support of the CRA late models at both Anderson and Mt Lawn.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool idea; however it WON'T help my efforts to locate a decent used Crown Vic police special as a project car. Rolling Eyes
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool build. The Crown Vics have put on a mighty entertaining show at Salem the few times I've seen them run the high banks there.
Racer14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a cool idea; however it WON'T help my efforts to locate a decent used Crown Vic police special as a project car.

George,
I assume you mean a real one, if so check out the "The Crown Vic Racers community" on Facebook. They sometimes have Crown Vics to use as builders. The prices are not cheap nowadays though.

Very neat model build by the way!

Last edited by Racer14 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one 2 weeks ago at a swap meet for an Andrew Jackson. It was the only one I saw at the swap meet. I sold 2 of them before I moved for $8.....typical Laughing
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: