Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Petty's 1969 Ford Ramp Truck ( not the box truck )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramblin Randy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Richard Petty's 1969 Ford Ramp Truck ( not the box truck ) Reply with quote

I'm searching for the original owner of my red 1966 NASCAR ramp truck and stumbled onto a photo I thought you folks would enjoy. I asked the Petty fan base if Richard Petty ever used a Ford C-Series wedge carrier and the answer was always NO. All have said Petty only used a box truck from Ford. Well I've been asking all over internet land about my hauler and these two unique matching photos showed up this week. Enjoy..!

[/img]
Ramblin Randy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my search for the original owner of my hauler I'm learning about "who" was building haulers for the NASACAR racers. If anyone has any info to my research list please add to the knowledge bank. Holman Moody haulers all seem to have the same styling to the tire deck top walls.

Holman Moody. ( fabricated many trucks in the 1960s )
Baker Body Company Charlotte. ( fabricated beds for racing and industrial use )
Dearborn Steel and Tube. ( I'm told they built haulers )

Additional info I've read... Not confirmed...
'Buddy Bill Stroppes Shop.... Built the 3 Ford Drag Team haulers in association with Holman Moody"

A company called "Car Corporation" also modified truck bodies for racers.
Ramblin Randy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 1966 Ford C-750 with sleeper cab. There is a big "black hole" in the ownership record for this truck and I'm trying my best to find out who operated this truck in the 60's and early 70's.

The truck was owned by the Hagerstown Speedway from 1975 to 2004 and that's when I bought the truck in 2004. I have photos of Bobby Allison's car on the back of this truck from 1983. Bobby Allison was sponsored by the owner of the Hagerstown Speedway for many years. It is my understanding that the Hagerstown Speedway bought the truck from Claute Hausted. And this is where the trail goes cold.

Seeking photos of this truck in service from 1966 thru 1975. Help... It's like this truck never existed. It's a big truck LOL someone's had to of see it.

C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Petty shots. But they do not appear to me taken of the same truck. The bed is different between the 69 and 71 shots. The tire rack support is also different (note the curve in the 71 shot as the side of the rack support joins the rack).
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably right, Doc, Papa Lee wouldn't have allowed that Plymouth on a Ford ramp truck!
Ramblin Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Probably right, Doc, Papa Lee wouldn't have allowed that Plymouth on a Ford ramp truck!

I've read that Petty went back to Mopar but was still using a FORD truck as a hauler. A MOPAR corporate suit saw their car on a FORD truck at a big race and blew a gasket... a week later MOPAR gave Petty a hauler to use.

C5HM... good eye for detail. The tire racks are identical except for that flange.
Aero426

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hauler with the 1971 Road Runner is Clyde, the Dodge truck.

Aero426

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was suggested on Facebook, this rig may have been one that simply had Petty decals added for the press photo picking up the car at HM.

Ramblin Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aero426 wrote:
The hauler with the 1971 Road Runner is Clyde, the Dodge truck.

Can you tell me more about "Clyde" the truck...? Are there photos..?

The bed looks very similar to the Holman Moody style beds they built for Ford. Just guessing.

Ramblin Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: