Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A & M Taurus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: A & M Taurus Reply with quote

On FB, a member of one of the modeling groups got a hold of a A & M Taurus "kit." I did not know any of the story. New owner deciding what the best way will be to copy and sell. Interesting.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the Accurate Miniatures NASCAR Taurus kit??? I was involved with AM at the time. My brother in law worked for them. No production kits were ever made, only test shots. AM closed down before the project was finished. FYI the tooling included a snap version that Testors was going to sell as a pre painted kit.
I'd be interested to know where this person got the kit......When AM shut down they gave me all the Taurus parts they had at the time. Here is all the parts to the kit.
https://public.fotki.com/DaveVan51/accurate-miniatures/
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at one at a model car swap meet a couple of years ago. Body missing but everything else was there on parts trees. It was nice, but without the body I passed on it. Dave, those are the same parts as the one he has pics of on fb.

Tom
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on Facebook has the entire kit, including the body.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the AM kit is nice, both were designed by Bob Johnson so are very similar. The detail is a little better on the AM kit and it was more current at the time......but I'd not pay a lot of $$$ for a 3D print of it.
Papadoc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is this kit from? It looks like maybe 98-99?
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE to get ahold of a couple of the “X” exhaust pipes if this person would consider printing the parts and separating them from the rest of the kit. I feel the exhaust would be a big seller.
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I am friends with Chris on Facebook and have actually ordered one of his resin Lumina bodies. They are beautiful! He doesn't do half crap. His stuff is next to perfection. I have ordered from Jay's as well and I do believe this is who he is thinking of partnering with to do this. When he asked which parts do people want to see the most of, I mentioned the X pipes as the number 1 for me. R/M just always stuck with a generic exhaust, and it always seemed cheap to me. A 3D trans linkage like in the AM kit seems nice to have as well to me. Chris is a great guy to work with and I think he is on to something. But overall, I agree with you on the X pipe, it is a nice piece to have, especially if we want to be building a nice plate car from that era.

Take care man!
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, let’s make it happen!
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in! Let's do this!
Lionpride

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drew up a X Tube this afternoon. If I can send someone the pics and they could post them I would appreciate it. I can't figure out a way to do it. Beyond frustrating.
Curious to get feedback if I'm close.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Lionpride on Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post asks for a password to enter.........
naskoalcar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no one has the means to take over?
I guess AM's molds are somewhere..
Too bad they had to close the doors.
in what year?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naskoalcar wrote:
And no one has the means to take over?
I guess AM's molds are somewhere..
Too bad they had to close the doors.
in what year?

Tooling for the Taurus was shopped around....no one wanted it at any price. Everyone thought the time for a NASCAR Taurus that 90% of customers could not tell the difference from the RM kits was worthless. The Vette tooling is MIA and the McLaren tooling may be KIAs by now. Many of the plane kits were sold off.
naskoalcar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but what are MIA and Kia abbreviation Rolling Eyes Smile
naskoalcar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, from year to year we see old kits coming out at AMT Revell MPC... according to you is it possible that RM will one day bring out these Nascar kits, Regal, Monte, Grand Prix, Cutlass... knowing that JR Salvinos is releasing some of these kits again
Would Jr Salvinos have bought all the Monogram molds?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvinos bought RM NASCAR tooling from Atlantis. Atlantis bought all RM tooling in storage in the USA. Modern RM NASCAR tooling, and the AM Taurus tooling, is in Asia.
Anything can happen.....but note RoG seems to have zero interest in NASCAR
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naskoalcar wrote:

MIA= military term for "missing in action". In this context it probably means lost.

KIA= military term for "killed in action ". In this context it probably means destroyed.

As I'm not the guy the used the acronym in this post, I'm just guessing. Could very well be wrong.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RoG seems to have zero interest in NASCAR

Same with Round 2, Salvino has the Allisons, Petty, Yarborough, Baker, Parsons, and maybe others under license.

I'm glad the Pond Malibu came back out but with the Coke license stuff Round 2 does, they couldn't do the Allison Coke machine again, or the DiGard 88 or Parson's King's Row. They could do the Johncock Pylon Malibu again.

Round 2 still has the Watson 1963 500 winner, I think it would sell well, the aftermarket would boom with decals and resin conversions for a ton of cars, maybe the recent issue of the Gurney Lotus will do well enough for them to run the roadster again.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gary66"]
Quote:

Round 2 still has the Watson 1963 500 winner, I think it would sell well, the aftermarket would boom with decals and resin conversions for a ton of cars, maybe the recent issue of the Gurney Lotus will do well enough for them to run the roadster again.

The aftermarket already is in place for that kit. Indycals and Circle Track Decals have lots of Roadster decals available and Classic Racing Resins does 5 conversion kits for the Watson Roadster, plus wheels & tires, and different vac-formed windshields. There is even an upgrade kit for the venerable old Monogram Kurtis Roadster. With so many re-issues already out there of the Watson, it might be the same situation as the Monogram NASCAR Thunderbirds, already saturated market.

Oh yeah, Indycals also did an "accurizing" upgrade kit for the Lotus. Currently out of stock, but very nice.
naskoalcar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mia and KIA are KGB terms for me
Thank you for your information Laughing
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Indycals also did an "accurizing" upgrade kit for the Lotus.

I have the resin tires he makes for both the Lotus and the Watson. Very nice stuff.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
I drew up a X Tube this afternoon. If I can send someone the pics and they could post them I would appreciate it. I can't figure out a way to do it. Beyond frustrating.
Curious to get feedback if I'm close.
Thanks!!!

per your request, sir...

you wouldn't know if they are going to fit right unless you whip one up and try it out on a kit, just to see where the exhaust comes out on the side of the car... at first glance i would think the pipes would need to be angled together a bit more so they come out in the proper spot.

i do like the fact that you would have them open on the ends.

if you could get them sized right and printed, i would be down for a few...
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
naskoalcar wrote:

MIA= military term for "missing in action". In this context it probably means lost.

KIA= military term for "killed in action ". In this context it probably means destroyed.

As I'm not the guy the used the acronym in this post, I'm just guessing. Could very well be wrong.

In this context your MIA is correct. "KIA" is simply referring to the name of the Korean vehicle manufacturer. It's my understanding that those kits, like Tamiya kits of that era, were tooled in South Korea. So if the tooling was scrapped it could have ended up as a KIA.
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride,

Those renderings look great!

18, thanks for being able to get those posted.

Like 18, if you can get those sized right, I can work with that! Those are quite nice sir, and a tremendous upgrade from what RM gives us in the kit. This thread is scratching me right where I itch!
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Lionpride,

Those renderings look great!

18, thanks for being able to get those posted.

Like 18, if you can get those sized right, I can work with that! Those are quite nice sir, and a tremendous upgrade from what RM gives us in the kit. This thread is scratching me right where I itch!

they make powders and creams, and ultimately shots, to help with an itch Laughing Laughing Laughing
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right?! I should probably see someone about it. Maybe Dr. Van Nostrin. (It's a Seinfeld reference. I'm a big fan.)

But really, I like where this is going! Thanks to 3D printers and guys here with the computer talent, we can actually have some really great model parts after all these years! We already have talented builders on this forum. I'm just not computer literate. My wife is the web designer, I'm just a simple aircraft mechanic. I have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did work with Andy Belmont in ARCA and had my license to race in the series and test drove for Buck Baker so I do know what these cars should look like, and I want my builds to resemble them inside and out as best I can. Like I said, if this gets off the ground, I am in for a few to support the hobby and work that was put in to make it happen. I have supported Chris, Jays, Brandon Miller, 3 Amigos, Mikes, SMH, BSR, and many others like yall have, and I will continue to do so. I love this hobby, and this is a great group of builders. We support each other, and I hope this support continues!

Keep doin' what yall are doin'!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: