Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting Lug Nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Painting Lug Nuts Reply with quote

Just looking for ideas and suggestions on painting the lug nuts on a 1/24th wheel. In my opinion, I feel its one of the most important details on the finished build, but I have been struggling to get a good quality finished product.

Most of the time I use a silver Sharpie and just try to get decent coverage without hitting the wheel itself. Sometimes I try to use a silver or gold paint marker but they tend to "flood" right onto the wheel.

Has anybody had any luck or have any good suggestions for me?
Thanks
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give is good paint, great brush. I use a very high quality (read: expensive) 5/0 or 10/0 brush. As far as paint goes, I could tell you what I use but they are so old that many are no longer available and the rest well, I'm sure their formulae have changed! Oh yeah, and practice! HTH!

Brian
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpie for lugs and center cap.....maybe not perfect but I am happy with effort/looks.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Sharpie paint pen with an extra fine point.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the mood and how mad I am at the build. 50/50 use a Sharpie and the rest of the time cheap Pactra silver with a fine brush. I try not to thin the paint, to thin and it runs down the nut and onto the wheel base. Then use Tamiya black wash to pick out the detail.
jpaul7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a toothpick for the lug nuts.
BW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott. For me, I use Vallejo Metal Colors-Silver (see photo.) Vallejo is a good quality water-based acrylic and can be painted over any solvent-based paints such as enamel, lacquers, etc. Just make sure you shake it up very well. I use a good quality 1/0 round tip paint brush and just use a sort of "dabbing" motion to paint. If any gets on the wheel you can remove the paint using a toothpick to gently rub or scrap off. I should also mention that I use an OptiVisor to see better. (Getting old does have some disadvantages.) Hope this helps.
-Bobby

[img][/img]
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing fancy in my case. I use a fine tipped dry paintbrush with Tamiya acrylic silver paint right out of the bottle. I paint with the brush at a bit of an angle so I can get the paint down onto the lugnut area and not just on the top. After it dries I use some black paint to touch up any mistakes. The biggest keys are a good quality brush, and go slowly.

18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a silver Sharpie. This is also good as a base for the modern car lugnuts and lugs, you can go over the silver with a purple Sharpie or whatever color you want.
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah use silver sharpie or the molotow chrome pen for center and sharpie paint pen can find at walmart for lug nuts.
TonyK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a toothpick and Model Master steel. I like the other tips given and the steel is no more (so I hear) so will try them.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[q "After it dries I use some black paint to touch up any mistakes." Dan belcher

All the methods listed work great but Dan has the answer to a nice looking job.
Anytime I'm doing lugs and centers, I'll have a black Sharpie (for blk. wheels)
or a small dab of whatever color the wheel happens to be, standing by in case
I get a little ham-handed with the silver detail.
I've found over time it's WAAAY easier to color over a small errant paint mark
than it is to try and "clean it off" This works all over the model when doing
tedious tasks like detail painting shock absorber mounts, etc, once the chassis
color is on.

John
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I went with MM aluminum and a toothpick.

But keep in mind that all the lugnuts are yellow or pink/purple since it makes them more visible to the tire changer. I'd recommend going with a Testors or MM yellow. And still use a toothpick, that way you have less paint to overflow than you would with a paint brush.

I recommend using a pin or needle to add a touch of aluminum to the represent the lug if you really feel the need to go to that level of detail. But to me it's usually not worth it for what it adds at scale.

I paint the wheels black before I paint the lug nuts. If I end up having some of the yellow or aluminum bleed over onto the wheel, I cover it with some thinned flat black. It will flow over and cover the offending color.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: