Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Race Car Hauler 1967 Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Race Car Hauler 1967 Style Reply with quote

The other day I was cruising around on the web looking for, well, I don't remember what I was looking for but I came across this photo:

I built a model of that car many years ago but the trailer caught my attention and looked like it would be easy to do and a nice compliment to the model.

I remembered I had a couple of the old AMT Blueprinter Service Trailer kits and so I broke them out and after just a few hours work, I had this:

As it comes out of the box the trailer is too wide so I cut about 1/2" out of the cross members and axles and glued the two halves back together.

Then I reshaped the front of the frame rails to get that slight taper and cut the rear of the bed to create that slight beaver tail. The flanges along the sides are made from strips of .010" Evergreen sheet and the fenders are scratch built from the same material. Wheels and tires are from spares.

Paint is Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and I weathered it using some metallic steel, flat black, and rust.

Then I found this photo:

The trailer is being pulled by a small truck with a utility/service bed on it and I immediately thought of the Mobeius '66 Ford Service Truck!

So I searched for some more photos of the truck and found this:

I though this would be the perfect compliment to the trailer. But upon looking at that photo more closely I noticed that the truck is an F-350 dually, not a standard F-150. Not sure where or even if I could find appropriate frame and wheels for a '60s era F-350.

So, as of now, this project is complete as it is. Let me know what y'all think. Smile
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the AMT C900 or C600 Ford COE frame would work with a F150 body. Or at least that would give you the frame and rear axle to mod an F150.

I think the C900 was recently re-issued
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Chevy guy, but I recall the Big Three all used the same basic cab for their 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton trucks. The Ford F-350 would be the one ton. Also, Reid Trailers were the Go - To tandem - axle auto trailer for NASCAR teams, at least by the late 1960's. Yes, it was the same Reid Trailers that sponsored Buddy Arrington for many years.
afx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might find some dually wheels here you could use:

https://scenesunltd.com/collections/big-rig-dually-items?page=1
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really cool project. The service truck appears to be 1961-64 vintage. Found this color pic that might be of help for your project[img][/img][img][/https://i.postimg.cc/ZnC6yDgt/HM-Ford-F350-pic-1.jpg][url][/url]
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url[/url]
2002p51

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that would go with this:

Very Happy
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moebius '66 long bed 4x4 would get you so close!!! A decent build could be done.
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool project! Keep us posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: