Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atlanta Motor Speedway model project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Atlanta Motor Speedway model project Reply with quote

Hello guys and girls. I hope all is well.

Recently I opened a discussion with Mr. Bill Coulter about the Atlanta Motor Speedway model project and it occurred to me I never really gave you the entire story. I apologize for that but I had, and still have, my reasons. I have not had any sort of Nascar modeling discussion in years and frankly it is not in my life now in any way. However...

Let me tell you all I know. I owe it to those of you that contributed.

The project itself was born of a desire to create something cool. Something unique. I was inspired by the Darlington display and always wanted to try that at AMS. Buford and his group did an amazing job. Several years before the creation of our display and after speaking to many principles at the speedway I eventually gave up trying. They had zero interest and frankly did not understand modeling and what we could accomplish. They wondered why anyone would spend time assembling a kit with practically everything made in diecast at that time. Lots of face palms were had.

Then I met Buster. Buster Dickerson was a local printer that through his connections and love of the sport managed to gain the printing contract for the speedway. He was in charge of several charities as well and among them was the Speedway Children’s Charity association. This gained him unlimited access to everything at the track as well as all of the teams and drivers. I became great friends with him after he discovered my hobby shop and I found out he was an avid modeler. Man did we have fun. I supplied him with the tools for his hobby and he got me in with AMS. I was granted incredible access to the speedway and all its events. I was able to be in the pits and trailers at every race and for every driver for years. I met so many great guys and learned so much. It was an amazing time in my life. So much decal research was accomplished!

One day I mentioned to him my dream of the display. It lit a fire I had never seen before and likely will never see the like again. He quickly came to want it as much as I did. Maybe more! So we planned. We met with everyone at the track including Bruton Smith himself who absolutely loved it. Ed Clark was the speedway president at the time and also was 100% behind it. Boom! We started. They gave us the space and had the cases built and name plates installed. At the beginning we had the help of an individual that created the NHL hall of fame. Sadly I do not remember his name. They had big plans for our display however in the end they did not let him build what he wanted. Still it was enough.

Then I started on organizing the build which was some of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in my life! So much fun!. You guys really stepped up and delivered some of the most amazing pieces of modeling art ever created. Such passion went into every build! The display was completed, all the cars came in and AMS had a ceremony. Bill Elliott and Benny Parsons were the grandmasters of the event. It was incredible! The display was a hit and we set ourselves up as caretakers. It was a dream come true for the humble model builder. I was mixing it up with the Nascar big dogs!

Then the storm hit. Hurricane X. I have no idea as to the extent of the gift shop damage but I do know the entire display disappeared almost overnight. I never saw any of the carnage or results. No one seemed to have any idea where the cars went. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. Buster and I quickly became frustrated and were stonewalled. Calls quit being returned and my credentials to the track were revoked in the end. I guess because I became a nuisance. I was not a very pleasant person after being ignored. I had real love in this project. Real blood, sweat and tears. They did not care. Buster refused to give up and I think he was close to getting some answers. Then something happened…

My Good friend, the great motivator of this project and all around fantastic human being was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Unfortunately it was very advanced and he did not know it. Buster was not with us 3 months past that time. The loss is still fresh and it still hurts. I miss him dearly. He was just that kind of guy. You only meet his like a few times in your life if you are even that lucky. The world lost a treasure.

I lost all my motivation to go forward with anything else involving the project. I became quite bitter and it affected my entire love for the hobby and contributed to the eventual demise of BSR. It changed my outlook on so much. It definitely soured me on Nascar.

I never heard another thing about the fate of the display or the cars. The track never cared enough to let me know a single thing. Maybe they were ashamed. They should be. I heard rumors from builders who asked the speedway questions but as far as I know not a single model was ever recovered. I had levels of great anger and deep sadness for many years. It felt like they trampled all over Busters memory. He deserved better. YOU deserved better.

I will never forgive them.

Anyway, I just thought I could give this to you. I have been holding on to it for a very long time ad I apologize for not giving it to you sooner. I just did not have the heart.

Thank you for your time.

-William Brigman / BSR
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William -

Thanks for this heart-felt screed! I've always wondered what really happened there. I was NOT involved in the project, although I wanted to be. At that time I just didn't have the time to devote to building a model worthy of inclusion. I live in the "nawth" and have never been to a NASCAR track other than the Glen & Pocono. I always wanted to visit this display and also the Indy Museum model display. I never got to see either one, but I was in the process of building one of the missing Indy winners for their display when that one also was altered and/or eliminate (not sure what happened there, either). The disrespect shown by those in charge to these efforts by die-hard modelers/fans to honor their heroes has soured me on racing as well. The rules and car changes haven't helped either. I was a fairly regular BSR customer for a few years, you products and service were always first-rate and I thank you for making my NASCAR modeling years more enjoyable by your efforts.

Brian
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for stopping by and the info on the display. Being here much longer than I care to admit I knew of the project and remember folks asking about it
thanks
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
Thank you so much for giving us the insight of the project. I also want to thank you for the incredible amount of work you did in filling a big void and supplying quality after market decals from one of the greatest era in NASCAR racing. Hope sometime in the near future you can rekindle your love for the hobby, especially with all the new models coming out.
Bill
pyeager1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that project well! I built two of the models in that display. A Rusty Wallace #2 MGD Pontiac 1993 win and a Bobby Labonte #18 Interstate Batteries Pontiac 1998 or 2000 win. I can't remember the year, but the car. I remember delivering them to William's store there outside Atlanta. I drove up I-85 from hunting camp in SE Alabama that morning after a turkey hunt. What I remember most is that I left the MGD car on the truck tool box leaving camp and a little ways down the road seeing it in my side mirror barrel rolling like a Rusty Wallace Talladega wreck! Man was I pissed! "How stupid" I kept repeating! Once I got to the BSR store there, I purchased a Pontiac kit from William and spent an hour or so putting glass back in, repairing the roll cage and rebuilding the front suspension there on the counter! Then years later only to hear it was destroyed by a tornado at the track! Sad
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, William. I hope you're doing well.

Drips and drabs of the story came out, but hearing it right from you puts it all to rest.

Thank you.

Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't involved in any of the builds but know many that were.

My own conclusion is that one of two things happened: The models and the display were swept away in the trash dumpster after the storm, or they ended up in someone's private collection who was there when the clean up was taking place.

My gut feeling is that they were tossed out, so far as I know none of the builds have ever surfaced for sale on ebay.
Schumacher330

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your friend William, and miss seeing you around.

That sucks how all you builders were treated. It could have and should have been handled much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: