Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roy Gay 1964 B Stock GTO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Roy Gay 1964 B Stock GTO Reply with quote

Just finished this one. It was driven by teenager Roy Gay back in 1964. He Raced it against his more well known brother , also a teenager, named Don Gay . He drove a 62 A stock Catalina 2 door sedan. He actually won the 1963 NHRA national championship driving it. I built Don's car back in 2018.

gks1964

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Looks awesome! Another great build!!
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful build Mark. I remember Roy and this car well. You have nailed another piece of drag racing history on the head. Awesome.

Now all you need to do is the A/MP wagon

MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
Absolutely beautiful build Mark. I remember Roy and this car well. You have nailed another piece of drag racing history on the head. Awesome.

Now all you need to do is the A/MP wagon

Thanks , John. What are the chances they ever made a model of that car? I will keep the photo though . You never know. The only photo I had of the GTO was the one below. I never got to see the wagon run. I bet it could really go quick.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the model I did of Don's car back in 2018.

Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both builds are beauties!!!!!!!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two FANTASTIC Looking builds!!!!

..applause ..applause ..applause ..applause

One could almost use the recently reissued AMT 5 Car carrier to haul them around. The Tractor would be a problem....
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. Love early '60s Drag cars!
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

Thanks , John. What are the chances they ever made a model of that car? I will keep the photo though . You never know. The only photo I had of the GTO was the one below. I never got to see the wagon run. I bet it could really go quick.

Mark R&R Resins made a resin 1963 Tempest wagon years ago, I don't know if they are available now, But it might be worth checking into. That A/Modified Production wagon would be a gorgeous addition to your early Don & Roy Gay set.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Mark. Like you I will use my printer for personal projects and various little details. It gives the capability to do cars that were previously out of the question.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Nice work Mark. Like you I will use my printer for personal projects and various little details. It gives the capability to do cars that were previously out of the question.

Thanks Dennis. I might have to change my opinion about not offering my decals for sale. Bill Jobson made me realize I could make the underlays with the laser printer and the colored decals with the ink jet printer. I will try it on my next build and see what happens.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

Mark R&R Resins made a resin 1963 Tempest wagon years ago, I don't know if they are available now, But it might be worth checking into. That A/Modified Production wagon would be a gorgeous addition to your early Don & Roy Gay set.

Sounds interesting John, but what would I use for the chassis donor for the wagon?
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

Sounds interesting John, but what would I use for the chassis donor for the wagon?

I would think you might be able to use the '65 Chevelle wagon or the '63 Chevy II wagon which is due to be out this month. But, you would still need to find a big block Pontiac engine to look like the big 421.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I would think you might be able to use the '65 Chevelle wagon or the '63 Chevy II wagon which is due to be out this month. But, you would still need to find a big block Pontiac engine to look like the big 421.

I did some searching around and mcw sells the 63 tempest wagon and it looks like it comes with the 421. Its 61 bucks which like all resins is not cheap. I just wonder if the quality of mcw resins is good . the last resin I did was very poor quality and I told myself I would never do another one again. Do you have any experience with the mcw resins?
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I did some searching around and mcw sells the 63 tempest wagon and it looks like it comes with the 421. Its 61 bucks which like all resins is not cheap. I just wonder if the quality of mcw resins is good . the last resin I did was very poor quality and I told myself I would never do another one again. Do you have any experience with the mcw resins?

Yes Mark, I have built one MCW resin and it was really pretty nice. I built their 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne (which I turned into a Bel Air with the addition of some styrene strip and a little chrome foil). I was replicating the Casler Racing Tire B/S 427 Bel Air of Wiley Cossey. Like all resins, it required a little more work than a 100% styrene kit, but I was satisfied with the resin kit and the results (shown below). The company has changed hands since I built the Bel Air, but I have continued using their lacquer paints and the quality has remained high. I would suspect the resins would still be good but I can't guarantee that.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

Yes Mark, I have built one MCW resin and it was really pretty nice. I built their 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne (which I turned into a Bel Air with the addition of some styrene strip and a little chrome foil). I was replicating the Casler Racing Tire B/S 427 Bel Air of Wiley Cossey. Like all resins, it required a little more work than a 100% styrene kit, but I was satisfied with the resin kit and the results (shown below). The company has changed hands since I built the Bel Air, but I have continued using their lacquer paints and the quality has remained high. I would suspect the resins would still be good but I can't guarantee that.

Yes , John. That is a high quality looking resin model. If I let this work on me a little longer I will probably give in and get the resin from mcw to complete the three car set. Thanks for posting those pics.
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

Yes , John. That is a high quality looking resin model. If I let this work on me a little longer I will probably give in and get the resin from mcw to complete the three car set. Thanks for posting those pics.

If you do break down and do the wagon, it was the about the same color as the Catalina. Only saw it a couple of times but it was more like Don's big Pontiac than Roy's GTO.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

If you do break down and do the wagon, it was the about the same color as the Catalina. Only saw it a couple of times but it was more like Don's big Pontiac than Roy's GTO.

I was thinking that too, just looking at the small pic of all three cars together. Thanks for the pic you posted . I needed a much better reference pic then the tiny one I had. I blew it up but it became grainy so i just had to figure that most of the graphics were probably the same as Don's car that I did have good reference pictures for. Thanks again, John.
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I was thinking that too, just looking at the small pic of all three cars together. Thanks for the pic you posted . I needed a much better reference pic then the tiny one I had. I blew it up but it became grainy so i just had to figure that most of the graphics were probably the same as Don's car that I did have good reference pictures for. Thanks again, John.

You are quite welcome sir. I do hope to see the third and last member of the early Gay Pontiac triad coming from your bench.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Old Coyote wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

You are quite welcome sir. I do hope to see the third and last member of the early Gay Pontiac triad coming from your bench.

Ive already started my next build so it will be a while if I do. I never stop a project until it is finished once I start it. Well there was that time I bought the wrong kit but didnt realize it till I was half way through but I got the right kit this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: