Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Mark Martin Thunderbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveracer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Another Mark Martin Thunderbird Reply with quote

Thanks to Randman posting his model, and encouraging me to finish mine with the decal experiences, I completed this $7 kit that I bought off Ebay. Originally designed to provide donor parts for another build that I will share soon, I loved the color of this car, and the fact that I worked for Roush until Corona hit, I had to build this car.

Paint is Toreador red from Duplicolor, and the interior is Krylon Matte Glacier Gray. Tamiya gray primer is underneath. I applied the decals with care and quite a bit of Solvaset, and they dried nice and clear. They aren't perfect or up to my real standards, but the 30 year old decals were good enough, especially since nobody makes a replacement set. Tamiya Clear was applied with a dust coat and only one wet coat just to seal the decals.

SemiGloss black is all Rust-Oleum Farm & Implement Low Gloss Black (now my favorite semi gloss as it lays very nice), and there is Lowes Project Source Flat Black ($1.49!) under all of the aluminum and steel painted parts.

I built this as a "quickie" however I had several false starts with the Duplicolor paint "frosting" and had to apply it several times after sanding down the weirdness. it was started at the beginning of the Crisis, and I just finished it up, with what maybe 100 real working hours or so. Therefore it is built box stock.

Glad to add this one to my collection.

Ouch! Now that I really inspect the images, I see there is a little touchup work to do! Razz
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build. Not to mention one of Marks best looking cars.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nicely done!!!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY NICELY DONE!!!!
randman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Awesome!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So clean , so perfect. Excellent build.
Pnut615

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful rendition of an iconic scheme! Can't believe after all these years those decals haven't been redone. The originals got the job done for sure on yours! Great job on it!

I have the Folgers Trans Am Mustang I got to build and that red looks like a pretty good match.
steveracer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciate the looks and comments.

For those interested and those that may search for "Monogram Decal Milkiness" or whatever, here are two photos of the before and after of the so many year old Monogram decals. This scared the heck out of me at first, but you can see the results were pretty decent.

Here is immediately upon application, just after applying Solvaset I think...

Here is the dried before clear, using full strength Solvaset and a bit more water.
Kmidd65

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up about the decals in that kit. I also saw Randman's build and looked around and bought one of these. Been years since I finished anything but watching everybody on here got me back to the bench. Nice model, happy to see you worked through the issues, it looks great! ..applause
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: