Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howmet TX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Howmet TX Reply with quote

I purchased a junkyard box recently and it had the remains of a Howmet TX turbine car. Based on what is left it appears to be a pretty neat kit. Has anybody built one? Or have one tucked away?
I didn’t know this kit existed a few days ago, now I need to know about it...
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPC made two versions.....a open top 'roadster' and a closed top coupe. Both are the same kit with a few different parts. Built the open car as a kid back in the 60's do not recall and big issues for a kid builder. It's long gone.
Which kit do you have??
spooker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The open car (Can-Am) was re-issued in 2003 and even tho the box cover car is a generic silver with no markings, it contains the authentic decals from the original. Should be fairly easy and cheap to find. I built the coupe version as a kid, one day when my mom worked at a dry cleaner's school was canceled because of snow. She gave me two bucks and I walked a few stores up in the open-air mall to a Jamesway store and bought that kit for $1.79! No real difficulties, everything fits pretty well, some thin, fragile parts but nothing too bad. I have some good references for these cars and will eventually do a detailed version of both. HTH!

Brian

Last edited by spooker on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wanted this kit and don't know how I missed the re-issue in 2003.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the remnants of the “coupe” version. I have never been so enthralled by a hunk of broken styrene. I may have to seek out that reissue.

Thanks for everyones input!
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of pictures on the 'net of the coupe, not so many of the Can-Am version. At least two have been restored. I found a period promotional booklet about 10 years ago, put out by Howmet, with a lot of excellent pictures of the two versions. The Can-Am car set some speed records, and the coupe actually won a minor race, altho the rest of the field was pretty outclassed!

Brian
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After setting some closed course records at Talladega with the Howmet turbine, Ray Heppenstall settled in the Birmingham area. I actually met his grandson through my stepson at one point, I wish I could have had the opportunity to meet Ray.
DarylH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new 1/24 resin kit from Pierpaolo Pinterelli. Expensive but well done and his research is helpful for a 1/25 build.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=100014512177442&set=a.977050016122062
Yeah it's fb but it's worth a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: