Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos Lemans is here.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Salvinos Lemans is here..... Reply with quote

.....Man I hate to say this, cause I sooooo wanted this to be a home run, but it's more of an infield single IMHO. To my eye there is something really wonky about the body, without measuring , it almost looks like the rear deck is too short, too low or both.( There is a seperate instruction sheet that list some look outs, The chassis needs to be shortened, the front glass is too long and the Headlight doors need to be sanded to loosen the fit, the hood needs to be trimmed and heated and reformed....hmmm...I get it, it's a model and I'm a modeler, but I guess I expected more)
Maybe it'll look better built, but my initial reaction is not great. Compared to my resin copy from SMH it looks more Chevy Malibu like. I don't really have an eye for what's wrong with it, maybe someone else can put into words better than I can.
I was really looking forward to building it, but now I'm just disappointed and discouraged.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your observations. I don't have the kit yet.

Jay Savarese built up a test shot in Tuflon colors and it looks very good. The one thing I'd do is cut out the window net and reposition it higher in the cage, like I did with the 2+2. That will make it look better. I flipped back and forth between pics of Jay's model and a pic of the real thing, from similar angles, and they look pretty darn close to my untrained eye. Of course angles can change the look on a lot of things so I have to get one in my hands to fully check.

I'm not a Le Mans expert so I'll leave some of the technical stuff to others, but Jay's model looks great built out of the box. I do know Salvino's has added those extra instructions as tips, and a lot of them are germane to the older Monogram cars as well, particularly the hood issue which the Grand Prixs were notorious for. Billy Kingsley wrote up a fix for the Grand Prix hood and I believe he sent it to Salvino's, so maybe that's why they put the tip in there.

I'll have to see how much the headlight buckets need to be sanded, hopefully just a quick run around the edges.

I'll build mine when I receive it to get a better idea.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know why the roll cage appears to sit so low? That really looks wonky to me.
Radar43

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: LeMans Reply with quote

I like the kit. It does look like a LeMans. And I do have resin LeMans bodies and they have there flaws as well. I like them also. You can build a fantastic model with this Salvinos JR LeMans kit. Yes I have things I will change a bit, add to ,take away but that is why I buy a kit is to build it the way I want it. That in it`s self lets my mind work, my hands work and gets rid of PTSD stress. I do not want something I just glue together. I`m Thankful for the Salvinos JR Model company and the kits I`m paying for. Completely designed, molded, boxed and sold in America! I do not need to worry about underaged children forced to work for nothing in China somewhere so the Chines government can design weapons to destroy America and our way of life. Please give the kit a chance, cut Salvinos JR some slack, they are trying. And there kits are nice.
wrenchr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LeMans Reply with quote

Radar43 wrote:
I like the kit. It does look like a LeMans. And I do have resin LeMans bodies and they have there flaws as well. I like them also. You can build a fantastic model with this Salvinos JR LeMans kit. Yes I have things I will change a bit, add to ,take away but that is why I buy a kit is to build it the way I want it. That in it`s self lets my mind work, my hands work and gets rid of PTSD stress. I do not want something I just glue together. I`m Thankful for the Salvinos JR Model company and the kits I`m paying for. Completely designed, molded, boxed and sold in America! I do not need to worry about underaged children forced to work for nothing in China somewhere so the Chines government can design weapons to destroy America and our way of life. Please give the kit a chance, cut Salvinos JR some slack, they are trying. And there kits are nice.

Agree 100%, mine delivered yesterday and it looks like they are listening, no chrome plating!! and it looks to me like they focused on window fitment and these fit from the inside and I think that had an effect on the roof look/design.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LeMans Reply with quote

wrenchr wrote:
Radar43 wrote:

Agree 100%, mine delivered yesterday and it looks like they are listening, no chrome plating!! and it looks to me like they focused on window fitment and these fit from the inside and I think that had an effect on the roof look/design.

If you remember the generic 2+2 kits had no chrome either, but the regular kits with decals did. Probably going to be the same for this kit. Hope not, but probably going to be chrome in the regular kits.

Razorback 46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my 2 kits today. I'd read some of the first comments so I'd know what to keep an eye on. I taped the body together along with the windshield and put it on my mockup chassis which is made from an old kit. The only issues I found were that the little tabs inside the rear bumper needed to be removed, the fenders on the right side were a little too far forward (which I can easily shim out), and the hood didn't want to close all the way (which I fixed by shaving some of the thickness from the tabs). The cage did look a tad low in the driver's window but I'll be able to fill that gap with roll cage padding.

Overall, I think the body turned out alright. Perfect? No, but definitely serviceable. I'll most likely be using the old chassis when I eventually build these.
wrenchr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LeMans Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
wrenchr wrote:
Radar43 wrote:

If you remember the generic 2+2 kits had no chrome either, but the regular kits with decals did. Probably going to be the same for this kit. Hope not, but probably going to be chrome in the regular kits.

Oh was not aware that the decaled kits have been chrome. leave that stuff off!! Smile
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any need for chrome on the LeMans, the body did not have any except for the headlight dishes. Both bumpers were Endura rubber in whatever body color, with only little trim strips. Chrome engine pieces are unnecessary too, IMHO.
Viperguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a naysayer of any kit because I'm a pleasure builder, but I took out my DT Uniques Lemans and there are some big differences. For one, the rear of the roof is too low and the front of the car is too low. It won't stop me from building or buying more but maybe Salvinos ought put just a little more time and effort into accuracy.
OK, I'm now ready for the bashing.
iceman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Petty last ride 1992 Pontiac and was gladly surprised there was no chrome and that is one of there newest regular kits.
SynSchecter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for mine to show up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: