Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

81-83 Monte Carlo "Flatnose"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: flat nose Reply with quote

I have the Terry Labonte 1981 #44 Texas Jeans car done. I still want to do the Harry Gant #33 Skoal Chevy.
composerp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see a picture or two! Would love to see it.

Paul
Composerp
yesfan4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a trip from LA, and out there I saw (among other cars) a pristine 81-84 flat nose MC and an absolutely gorgeous Mirada. I always thought the 81-84 flat nose MC was an outstanding car from that era, as well as the Cutlass. Thank God for Califonia weather, otherwise none of those older cars would exist! Does anyone know if any flat nose CUP MC exists?
mrblackwell17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of Bobby's Gatorade "flat nose" Monte when he was with Digard in 1982. This is from Bristol.

Found on the Digard racing page.

mrblackwell17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also found this link with a few more "flat-nose" Monte Carlo's pictured, including a Harry Gant version, along with some other, rare, shots!

Ain't GOOGLE a wonderful thing sometimes!?!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.pbase.com/t1/10/702910/4/66824772.xpG5eygL.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/cannondaledave/classic_nascar&h=107&w=160&sz=5&hl=en&start=21&um=1&tbnid=PWjeHtODPgEP9M:&tbnh=66&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dharry%2Bgant%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D50%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DN

enjoy!
MGC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pics! Thanks for posting the link!

Marc
MGC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the start of a flat-nose conversion using Ronnie's resin nose. It will probably end up being Bobby Allison's Hardee's car.

Marc
Radar43

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: F N Monte Reply with quote

MGC, looking good so far.
yesfan4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGC Marc;

Thats a great bit of work on mounting that flat nose. When I did my K. Petty/Ellington flatnose Monte I didn't pay enough attention to the slant of the fender sheet metal (from the nose to the wheel-well), but it looks like to blended it in picture perfect. Seeing your WIP is getting me interested in doing another FN Monte in the near future. Have to go on e-bay and find a kit!
MGC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesfan4 wrote:
MGC Marc;

Thats a great bit of work on mounting that flat nose. When I did my K. Petty/Ellington flatnose Monte I didn't pay enough attention to the slant of the fender sheet metal (from the nose to the wheel-well), but it looks like to blended it in picture perfect. Seeing your WIP is getting me interested in doing another FN Monte in the near future. Have to go on e-bay and find a kit!

It went on pretty well, but I didn't do a good job of fitting the hood as I was attaching the nose. I had to go back and add some material to the hood and then sand it to fit. All in all, it went together pretty good though. I'd like to get a couple more of them built.

Marc
yesfan4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc;

What might be a great thing to do is to send your's off to Ronnie at SMH to use as a master (to make a mold) for a whole body.
MGC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesfan4 wrote:
Marc;

What might be a great thing to do is to send your's off to Ronnie at SMH to use as a master (to make a mold) for a whole body.

Ronnie is where I got the nose from! Very Happy I guess if he felt a whole body would be a big seller, he would already offer it that way.

Marc
mrblackwell17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would revive this topic to show my DW Pepsi diecast version of the 'flat nose' Monte Carlo that I had a buddy build for me.

Reference photo

Its not perfect, but it looks cool!

Scott

http://public.fotki.com/mrblackwell17/
Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Marcis behind Dee Dub in a Malibu???
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Marcis or maybe somebody in Emmanuel Zervakis's car. Zervakis usually had a Malibu or Buick at Richmond in those days and it was generally light blue.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larryc39

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like an easy mod using the Pontiac nose out of the Petty double kit, no?
nocona3fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in 1983 when I worked for a Chevrolet dealer with my dad, Chevrolet used to have big shows to unveil the new models for the coming year. That year we went to Las Vegas where the show was at the Thomas & Mack center and the big deal was the Monte Carlo. The thing I remember the most was when they turned out the lights and a thunderous engine cranked up and rolled into the middle of the floor. When they turned the lights back up there sat Darrell's #11 Pepsi car. I had watched NASCAR when I could find broadcasts but from that moment on I was hooked.
KDM Racing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would look great on my shelf. Wish I new more of the history
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Coast driver Bill Schmitt in a backup car entered by Junior Johnson at the final race at Riverside in 1982. They contracted with a West Coast team so that they would have the backup in case their primary car got crashed prior to the race, since they were going for the championship. As it turned out, the backup wasn't needed and Schmitt drove it in the race.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MGC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM Racing wrote:

This would look great on my shelf. Wish I new more of the history

That's one that I would love to build.

Marc
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, the # 73 car pictured was Bill Schmitt's regular ride for the 1983 season, not a Junior Johnson - owned car. Through his close association with Junior, Bill also enjoyed Mountain Dew sponsorship on his Winston West Monte Carlo in both 1983 and ( as a MCSS ) in 1984.
Junior did supply a back - up, short - track Mountain Dew Buick Regal for J.D. McDuffie to use in qualifying for the Nov., 1982 race @ Riverside. This was done as insurance in case Darrell had mechanical problems in qualifying. When Darrell made the race on his time, Junior kindly let J.D. run the back - up car with his normal number 70 in the race. Junior was a good guy... thumbsup
Winston West driver Jim Reich ran a Ivan Baldwin - owned, flat - nose Monte Carlo # 25 in 1982. Despite winning the championship, the team would fold at the end of the season due to lack of sponsorship. Sad
composerp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the great Baker Racing pics website.
composerp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the flat nose I ended up building

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Paul... I've recently found that the Lindley Monte Carlo and the Tommy Ellis Monte Carlo are the same car. Lindley sold it to Ellis's owner. It was sold to Rick Newsom after that, and still exists. Newsom was killed in a plane crash and in the late '80s when they were filming Days of Thunder it was purchased from Newsom's widow and painted up as the Junior Johnson Monte Carlo Aerocoupe. The rear window kit was added at that time. It's now in the Hendrick collection still in Junior Johnson/Bud livery!

I thought I had a photo of it from the museum but I must not have photographed it the one time I was there and it was on display.

composerp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool info! I would really like to get some good pictures of the Tommy Ellis version, there are a couple of details I can never quite make out.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several posted recently (in the last 3 months or so, I think) on one of the facebook pages dedicated to racing history. What view do you need, I'll see if I can find them.

M_Agee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT JOB Paul!!!! Awesome choice on that FN Monte! That one is on my short list to build, btw, what green is that you used? I was at the 600 the day Harry ran this car, and almost won finishing 2nd to Bobby in the Hardee's Regal. I know they ran the FN at Riverside, and again at Richmond in the fall IIRC. I also need to do the Regal Harry ran and almost won the Firecracker with in 81'. I have the Pontiac built, just need the Monte, and Regal to go with them for my Harry Gant collection.

"He needs a freaking whooping, and I'm gonna give it to him."- Boris Said
R.J

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built 2 over the years, I loved this body in race trim.

Both of these were built back before the great decals that are availible today were out on the market.

2012------------3
2013------------1
Models in progress;-6
5- Davey Allison Busch & ARCA
1-Don Robertson's #22 Roadrunner
JEEIII

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Calhoun' posted this one before.

John
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

composerp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, those are great shots, I had the Lindley pic already. Been trying to figure out the c post decal, do you think that's the same one that was on the 55 in the other pic? Does it say Richmond, VA on the rear fender under the sponsor?

Mark, I used a Tamiya green that someone here had suggested, I'll have to look for it when I get home. It was a great match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: