Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have reached a crossroads... and a decision.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: I have reached a crossroads... and a decision. Reply with quote

I will start by quoting Luke Skywalker (Although at this point I am loathe to) "This is not going to go the way you think."

No, this has little to do with my work in the model world and more so to do with my slot car ventures. Much as I love my little stockers, I love my models. One of them is working for me, one of them against.

The slot cars have had several changes in dynamic over the past few months that makes them no longer a sustainable income. The slot cars are also a small part in the fact that the wife left a few weeks back and is now staying at her brother's.

As I sit her among a pile of blems, molds and orders for this week I see all the molds soon to need replacement, and that's the issue. I am unsure what exactly has changed as far as the rubber is concerned but, I'm getting half the pulls and spending twice as much in oils and mold release. This dude does not abide!

So, having crunched numbers all weekend when I should have been building a model or listing ways to skin cats, (KIDDING! I love cats!) I have come to the conclusion that slot cars will be phasing out so I can focus on model parts which are more lucrative. I can charge a fairer price, make a little bank for me, happy-fy a few builders and line up a few more fun things to do.

This may not be permanent, but to my friends here on the board that buy my slot cars, for now it is expected to be.

I'm going to take a couple days to clean my house, then get ready for fall! I have high hopes my upcoming selloff will fund me a shiny new 3D printer.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a good dude. Take care of yourself and life will settle down. This stuff is just for fun. I tell my buddies, model stuff is my golf game, hunting and fishing all rolled into one. Its all about fun and relaxation. You're an asset to our hobby. It will all work out.

Last edited by Mack on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
gks1964

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2
Sundance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Hi Adam Reply with quote

I sense the turmoil in this one...sounding like a jedi.

Life is a fickle thing. It can be the most aggravating and yet the most special thing. No doubt the wife issue is weighing heavily on you. You still have family and friends (many here) who care and understand.

5 years ago in Oct I was told I have terminal cancer. At the time, my work sucked big time, too many hours and way too much stress. I nearly couldn't stand it. That same month, my niece who is more of a daughter than niece, got married . I could not stop crying at the wedding. The Lord at least let me live long enough to see that. Well, now she has 3 kids, including 9 month old twins who literally light up when they see me. God gave me another gift it seems. The wife and I were not given children of our own.

Eventually I went on disability and the work anvil was lifted from my shoulders. Now I spend time taking my classic car for drives, going to car shows, still building models and most importantly enjoying the love of others. I now do what brings me joy, even if it is likely on a short clock. I am actually happier now than I have been in many years.

Find what brings you joy and peace. Embrace it. If it is model building or slot cars fine. If it is something else, go for it. Life is hard enough enjoy it as best you can. And if you need to, there are those here who would be happy to listen
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Adam Reply with quote

Sundance wrote:
I sense the turmoil in this one...sounding like a jedi.

Life is a fickle thing. It can be the most aggravating and yet the most special thing. No doubt the wife issue is weighing heavily on you. You still have family and friends (many here) who care and understand.

5 years ago in Oct I was told I have terminal cancer. At the time, my work sucked big time, too many hours and way too much stress. I nearly couldn't stand it. That same month, my niece who is more of a daughter than niece, got married . I could not stop crying at the wedding. The Lord at least let me live long enough to see that. Well, now she has 3 kids, including 9 month old twins who literally light up when they see me. God gave me another gift it seems. The wife and I were not given children of our own.

Eventually I went on disability and the work anvil was lifted from my shoulders. Now I spend time taking my classic car for drives, going to car shows, still building models and most importantly enjoying the love of others. I now do what brings me joy, even if it is likely on a short clock. I am actually happier now than I have been in many years.

Find what brings you joy and peace. Embrace it. If it is model building or slot cars fine. If it is something else, go for it. Life is hard enough enjoy it as best you can. And if you need to, there are those here who would be happy to listen

Great insights from real life experience. We never know whats coming our way that will ultimately readjust our views on everything. Sounds like you're in a good place. Hoping the best for you and Adam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: