Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lorenzen Yellow banana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ediskrad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Lorenzen Yellow banana Reply with quote

Does anyone make a resin body of Lorenzen’s 66 Ford yellow banana?
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased one years ago. I think it was a SMH product from Ronnie.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own banana body. Not all that hard to do. I have looked at some resins and thought they over did the top. The car was really not all that weird.
This is a standard 66 Galaxie, I am making a Dan Gurney car and the banana car body I modded.

Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an accurate banana car, the chassis had the Chevy truck long trailing arms. The dash takes some effort to do correctly also. I have also not found a block letter :Fred Lorenzen" in red decal. When Freddy drove the car his name was in red. The car commonly seen today is not the actual race car, it is a recreation, not all that correct, either.

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J - my hat's off to you sir!
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I have to say, this is as far as Ii have gotten on either Galaxie. My first attempt at the banana was not so good, I started over from scratch and the only thing keeping me from getting them finished is a lack of motivation,

The way I did the banana the second attempt was to cut off the rear of the trunk lid and taillight area first. I then made a cut into the quarter panel and added a small wedge. Reinforced with scrap plastic on the back side. I then glued the rear of the triunk and taillight area back on and matched up the body side lines with a file. I cut a wedge from the bottom edge of the front fender part way up the fender, glued it together after removing the wedge and reinforced with plastic. The thing sat like that for a long time until one day I decided to tackle the roof. All I ended up doing was cut the "A" pillar at the window level and cut off less than an eighth inch and glued the pillars back to the body with super glue. I separated the windshield and back window and removed the wing window area.
gks1964

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill that looks excellent!!
james220

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J, didn't all factory 66 Galaxies at that time lower the nose and chop the top a little ? Jr. raised the trunk area took the chopping to a new level and added the truck arms. There is an article in one of the older Scale Autos on how to transform a 66 Galaxie into the yellow banana. Don't know how accurate it was but the finished product looked pretty good. I got a banana body, chassis and interior I think from SMH many years ago.
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:
Bill J, didn't all factory 66 Galaxies at that time lower the nose and chop the top a little ? Jr. raised the trunk area took the chopping to a new level and added the truck arms. There is an article in one of the older Scale Autos on how to transform a 66 Galaxie into the yellow banana. Don't know how accurate it was but the finished product looked pretty good. I got a banana body, chassis and interior I think from SMH many years ago.

Ford teams dropped the snouts of their block long Galaxies in 1966 and they tipped the top of the windscreen back as much as possible, too. Both mods were for aero. The H&M cars generally did not appear to have "chopped" roofs though. Junior got ahead of that game even before the Banana. There is a promo shot of JJ and Bobby Isaac with a pre-Banana Holly Farms Galaxie that clearly has gotten a haircut in terms of roof height. As with the top chop, JJ was ahead of the crowd with truck arms on the Banana. That one race car was the first (and only) Galaxie to carry long trailing arms. The rest o the Fomoco fleet used short trailing arms. Keeping in mind the fact of the Fomoco boycott during the mid section of the 1966 season and the appearance of the half chassis Fairlanes after their return, Galaxies didn't run all that much in 1966.
james220

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc, for the reply.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok friends, I am going to get back on the project of the two 66 Galaxies. I want to say a big thank you to hemiman_1999 for seeing my post here saying I needed some Fred Lorenzen driver name decals in red to match the car as it ran in 66. Hemiman_1999 made up some decals for me and mailed them to me ASAP. Very generous and thoughtful and very much appreciated. Done perfectly I should add.
The side effect is the mental boost it gave me to get off my butt and get back on this project. I am going to tackle the long Chevy truck arms on the banana car, after procrastinating for years. I will try to post some progress pictures in case anyone is interested.
Again, thank you hemiman_1999 for the excellent decals and for helping a fellow modeler. Most kind Sir!
gks1964

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill I'll watch with interest!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: