Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Displaying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truedeadman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Displaying Reply with quote

What are you all doing for displays for your completed kits? Most of mine from back in the day are on old school open shelving on the wall. I have decants in a spinning display case, but I can't seem to find any of those around anywhere. Thanks
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Hobby Lobby cases.....not cheap but air and dust tight.
truedeadman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these?: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Display-Cases/Standard-Display-Case/p/901
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truedeadman wrote:
these?: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Display-Cases/Standard-Display-Case/p/901

..agree
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....get the 40 off on your phone and as many friends as possible!
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find an old curio cabinet or glass cabinet from back in the day. Works great.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that years ago........

Problem is it was not dust proof.....in fact it seemed to attract dust!! I kept it bu put the models in cases inside of it.....kinda defeats the purpose!
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I moved I had one of those old type glass cabinets kinda what you see in the grocery stores. All I did to stop the dust was put a little overhang over the top were it opened and never had a problem.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get some pics later but I have found that if you check Garage Sales and look for stand up DVD cases if you see one most are deep enough for a model but only have shelves that are about twice as high as needed but the holes in the sides are every inch put the pegs for the shelves so you have the shelves separated just enough for the model. You should have about 1/2 of the case left now go the a lumberyard and get a piece of wood that is longer than the total number of all the shelves you need and that is the width or close to but not wider than the case most lumber yards will do about 3 cuts for free so the rest will maybe charged for most are $1.00 each is normal you will not have any of the shelf pegs left so while your at the case measure the diameter of the holes and when your at the lumber yard get a package of dowel pins with the same outside diameter as the hole these are the pegs for the shelves. Install the remaining shelves using the dowel pins. If you want get a piece of lexan that will cover the total opening of the case 1/16th thick will be fine attach it to the case front I use self stick felpro total cost per case after I bought for $3.00 each around 30.00 each case holds 11 models you can go crazy add a light, tin foil on the back all kinds of things
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobby Lobby cases on shelves. Hope they never go out of business. The air tightness really seems to help keep the models fresh.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Hobby Lobby cases on shelves. Hope they never go out of business. The air tightness really seems to help keep the models fresh.

I can open one of those cases 2 years later and smell the paint still...air tight!!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I can open one of those cases 2 years later and smell the paint still...air tight!!!

agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: