Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lug nut colors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chitownbri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: lug nut colors Reply with quote

When did Nascar start requiring teams to paint the lug nuts with highly visible colors?
john843

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when it was required but some teams were using white-painted lug nuts as early as '70-'71. That's before gluing them to the wheel was commonplace. I know because I still have several that I picked up in the pits either after the '70 Southern 500 or the '71 Daytona 500 and they still have the white on the face of them.
Those were the days- fans could enter the pits pretty much as soon as the last car was safely off the track and a kid could be in heaven collecting lug nuts and the decals off the cars. It seemed to be an understood thing that the fans were going to strip the cars that had vinyl numeral and sponsor decals. Some teams like the Petty's actually seemed to encourage it.(maybe one less thing to do when you get it back to the shop?) I've still got the driver's side Champion decal along with the #40 off the Rt. taillight panel of P. Hamilton's Superbird.

John
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember in 1964 in pits at Piedmont Interstate Fairgrounds , Ned Jarrett pit crewmen had no issues with us pulling contingency decals off his 64 Ford, but they did when we tried to pull numbers off!
gks1964

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Not sure when it was required but some teams were using white-painted lug nuts as early as '70-'71. That's before gluing them to the wheel was commonplace. I know because I still have several that I picked up in the pits either after the '70 Southern 500 or the '71 Daytona 500 and they still have the white on the face of them.
Those were the days- fans could enter the pits pretty much as soon as the last car was safely off the track and a kid could be in heaven collecting lug nuts and the decals off the cars. It seemed to be an understood thing that the fans were going to strip the cars that had vinyl numeral and sponsor decals. Some teams like the Petty's actually seemed to encourage it.(maybe one less thing to do when you get it back to the shop?) I've still got the driver's side Champion decal along with the #40 off the Rt. taillight panel of P. Hamilton's Superbird.

The good ole days!!! Great to be a kid then!!!

John
StuBeck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

European races allow the fans on track after the race, it seems an American thing where we aren't allowed. I remember going to the USGP at Indy and they'd let us cross the back stretch, but think that was more to avoid the weight limit on the bridge.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a "hot" pit pass years ago at Kentucky Speedway. I was able to scavenge a couple of lugs off the ground. They were painted BRIGHT yellow.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuBeck wrote:
European races allow the fans on track after the race, it seems an American thing where we aren't allowed. I remember going to the USGP at Indy and they'd let us cross the back stretch, but think that was more to avoid the weight limit on the bridge.

Mosport lets you on the track afterwards.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the NASCAR races I have attended through the years - both Cup & Regional series events, will allow fans access from the grandstands after the race -- BUT only after the teams have gathered up their tools and parts from the pit stalls. Not surprisingly, some fans will try to help themselves to souvenirs that the teams still need.
A passage from Richard Petty's 1976 Autobiography King of The Road : " The fans will steal you blind though, trying to pickup souvenirs. One time we caught a man rolling a mounted tire down the pit road, one of Hylton's wheels as I remember, but it wasn't one of Hylton' crew. Just a fan with a 90 pound souvenir. Another time, Wade was reaching into my car after the race and he bumped into a fan leaning in from the other side, trying to remove the fire extinguisher. " Get out of here! " says this cat. " I saw it first."
The recent West Series races I have attended always have an autograph session in the grandstands before the race. Drivers can be punished for missing these sessions. I choose to get my autographs with a camera instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: