Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally starting to get the whole "bi-scale" thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Finally starting to get the whole "bi-scale" thing Reply with quote

I've seen and taken part in many discussions over the years about not mixing scales. My whole thing has been "If it looks right, who cares?" I would simply finish and display, never once thinking about the size difference between the MPC Challenger and the Monogram version next to it.

So now comes a project I'd thought about for some time but never got to. A street Daytona and Superbird (To be followed by a similar NASCAR display) to display together. Naturally I gravitated directly to the Revell Daytona... and Monogram bird. All was going quite well until I set the two bodies next to each other.

Since I've been making car parts I've been VERY aware of scale, fit and size. So I instantly recognized the HUGE disparity between the two scales, at least as pertains to Revellogram. Switch to the MPC Daytona? No, scale is still off and quite frankly a far inferior kit. So now I have to switch up to a Johan bird, if I want them to look right together.

SO... with that said, mine eyes are opened! They're still squinting a lot but, they're opened. One would not think that single millimeter or partial mm, would make such a difference yet, it clearly does.

So now I understand a bit better, that when someone spends so much time getting every little thing just so, you don't want it next to a model that looks like a scrawny kid brother. Because like a 24th scale air cleaner on a 25th scale car... it sticks out! Wink
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer while I was on the mend I built a Monogram Superebird street version. I wanted a Daytona to display with the Bird.....but as you say the 1/25 Daytona was really small. I ended up finding a Testors die cast kit of the Daytona. Not a fantastic kit but now I had a 1/24 Daytona to display.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really the first time the difference hit me this hard. There'd be times I'd notice a slight difference, mostly with truck kits but, this one was a bit of a mind blower. I never had that Testor's kit. I tend to prefer plastic kits and pre-made diecasts. Wink
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi seriously, I always felt some of the Monogram was more like 1/23 scale. They always seemed “big” . A mm or two shouldn’t be THAT visible.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
Semi seriously, I always felt some of the Monogram was more like 1/23 scale. They always seemed “big” . A mm or two shouldn’t be THAT visible.
GOOD POINT! I mean, I'm not going to start measuring and running calipers over it but, you just may be on to something there.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing the 1/24 vs 1/25 difference.....I know the guys at Monogram liked the 1/24....so easy to calculate dimensions in the field when scaling a real car.
.25 of a inch equals one foot.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
It's amazing the 1/24 vs 1/25 difference.....I know the guys at Monogram liked the 1/24....so easy to calculate dimensions in the field when scaling a real car.
.25 of a inch equals one foot.

Sorry .25" in 1/24 scale does not equal 1 foot. 1 foot in 1/24 scale is equal to .5004". 1 foot in 1/25 scale is equal to .48".
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain spaz!!! My model trains, O scale, are ,25 to foot.....1/24 scale is .50 to foot....Too many hobbies!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try collecting NASCAR 1/64th scale die-cast....
Here was:
Racing Champions
Matchbox
RCCA - Action - RCI Platinum
Revell
Pit Row
Pole Position
Ertl
Stock Car Miniatures ("kit" form with decals forming the 1/4 windows)
Hot Wheels
Johnny Lightning
Winners Circle (by Hasbro)
Maisto
Team Caliber
All seemed to be done a little differently...The Matchbox were on the WIDE side and the Stock Car Miniatures were the worst ones....
IIRC Hot wheels were the first to have interiors instead of black window of Racing Champions (no interiror)
RCCA which I think became Action were the nicest looking for that scale...
Ertl was very toy like in comparison.....
But there were times one had to buy from all just to get the version of what I wanted. The Matchbox versions were nice, but wider and slitghtly taller...
I know....I collected over 1100 Cup & BGN series from 1993 until I tapered way off and stopped around 2002 from 58 locations primarily in Southern CA and FL with a few in North and South Carolina plua a couple by mail....
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you're saying Ed, I use them for my line of slot car bodies. (Racing Champions are just the worst! IMHO)
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne said:
Quote:
(Racing Champions are just the worst! IMHO)

You must not have seen the ones from Stock Car Miniatures...LOL
Those made Racing Campions look GREAT! Laughing

I had a great source for NASCAR in the Daytona Beach area....
Namely the Daytona Flea Market was the best.....found some Racing Champions of some of the small teams back then that I never saw anywhere else....
And the various shows around Daytona in Feb and June/July when NASCAR was in town..

But where I bought the most was a small store in SoCal that was only open a couple of years as I bought 107 NASCAR 1/64th scale....a number of them were the older cars that Racing Champions put out, like he Daytonas, Superbirds, Talladegas & Cyclone Spoilers,
But one day, he was gone.....heard from another store owner that the Tax Man nailed him......
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the Daytona flea market. I have a couple stories of misspent youth there. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: