Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polar Light Model Kits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Polar Light Model Kits Reply with quote

I have never purchased, assembled or even looked at a NASCAR Polar Lights model kit such as the David Pearson 1969 Holman-Moody Torino. I curious as to the quality overall of the kits.

I have a killer set of Fred Cady decals to do Smokey Yunick's 1969 Torino and don't know if the Polar Light kits are good or I should look for something else
heatmizer54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Polar lights Reply with quote

They are decent kits but need a lot of work on front end to eliminate the front end pointing upward issue. The 429 engine is hard to fit without doing some work to make it fit
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the kit to get if you want to do a Talladega. As above, the nose-up issue needs to be corrected, and there are a few methods for that found around here you can check out. I'd consider upgrading the tires and wheels for PPP products.
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks guys!

I bought a guys collection of decals and he had a Fred Cady decal of Smokey Yunicks with the iconic gold over black and I'm looking forward to building it. I never even knew Smokey was anything but a Chevy guy.

History is awesome![/quote]
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Polar Lights Torinos Reply with quote

Hello ghstRider68
If you are looking for information on how to build a Polar lights Torino, go to
NASCAR Tips, and Tricks, scroll down till you see Lanny Hass's article highlighted. This is what I used to build the same kit you are working on with the Fred Cady decals.Excellent building tips here. You have to modify the front chassis hoop, upper control arms, shorten the header pipes,and, drop the nose a tad. I would also recommend you swap out the transmission mount, part #46. It's pretty flimsy. I used a piece of scrap .030 Evergreen. Much stronger.Mike's Decals has the correct PPP tires listed under resin & parts. Goodyear 6569G. Yes, Smokey built some Ford's. Cady decal sheet #645, '57 Ford's, Curtis Turner/ Paul Goldsmith. Good luck with your build.
Barry Kennedy
Ontario, Canada
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recommend the rims to go with the tires or the kit ones are ok?

Also, I want the David Pearson kit correct?
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhstRider68 wrote:
Would you recommend the rims to go with the tires or the kit ones are ok?

Also, I want the David Pearson kit correct?

PPP wheels and tires really help the Polar Lights kits.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much follow the Lanny Haas tips for the Polar Lights. A couple of things that improve the overall look of the car are to trim around the rear window until it fits flush with the window frame and to sand down the rear spoiler. The real cars were only allowed a 2 inch spoiler height in those days. The kit one is a bit too tall.
I have used the kit tires and wheels, they are not as detailed as the PPP tires and wheels but it's tough to afford aftermarket parts for every build. I paint the blue line around the Goodyear's, use Powerslide vintage Goodyear decal markings and I am content with the results. I did get a little silvering on the decals, mainly because I sprayed a flat clear too heavily.
gks1964

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Bill! Thanks for the tips!!!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhstRider68 wrote:
Cool thanks guys!

I bought a guys collection of decals and he had a Fred Cady decal of Smokey Yunicks with the iconic gold over black and I'm looking forward to building it. I never even knew Smokey was anything but a Chevy guy.

History is awesome!
[/quote]
Smokey Yunick's NASCAR involvement began with the " FABULOUS " Hudson Hornet in the early 1950's !!! His later NASCAR involvement was largely due to his business relationship with Bunkie Knutsen. When Bunkie was running Pontiac Motor Division, Smokey built Tin Indians, including Fireball Roberts' winning ride in the 1962 Daytona 500. When Bunkie was kicked upstairs to Chevrolet, Smokey ran the 1963 Chevrolet Impala Mystery Motor cars. ( Ed Cole & Vince Piggins were also involved at this time. ) Smokey skipped NASCAR for a few years to try his hand at Indianapolis, though he would return with the Mark IV big block - powered Chevelles of 1967 - '68. When Bunkie Knutsen quit GM in a power struggle for its' Chairmanship, he was hired by FORD in 1969, so Smokey ran The BLUE OVAL brand for awhile. No mention in Smokey's Trilogy of books on whether Bunkie had Smokey HOP - UP any WHITE TRUCKS, when Bunkie landed at White Motor Trucks after a falling out with Ford. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: