Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1990 Rusty Wallace Miller Pontiac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: 1990 Rusty Wallace Miller Pontiac Reply with quote

Finally, this cursed, mistake-riddled build is completed! It's kind of appropriate that I finished it on Memorial Day weekend though, since Rusty won the Coke 600 for the only time in his career in this same car 30 years ago.

This is the first NASCAR model that I've built since I was a teenager some 20 years ago. I have built several IndyCar models in the last 5 years, but it was still a big learning experience on the best way to do things with this style of kit.

One of my pictures was inspired by a reference photo I had been using, so I thought this was a neat comparison. It also shows how far off from the real car the car shape and decal sizing is!

AMT kit, using kit decals (well, two sheets of them because they're so evil and uncooperative...) Powerslide decals for the wheels and tires (I lightly sprayed Tamiya Smoke to make the tire decals look more realistic and less bright). The kit decals match what Rusty ran in the Daytona 500, but this build isn't really meant to represent that specific race or anything. Gauges and fire bottle were hand painted instead of using decals. Pro-tech hood and trunk pins, since I did not have the patience to attempt anything more realistic than that! Seat belts are actually a mixture of hand-painted and decals, I had some leftover IndyCar seatbelt decals I was able to use for the shoulder straps.

Tamiya TS-14 black and TS-21 gold with TS-13 clear coat.

Some of the modifications I had to make...
Cut rear spoiler into two pieces.
Added rear spoiler mounting bolts by using a pin vice drill to make shallow indentations and painting them silver.
Added fuel vent by drilling out a hole and placing a thin evergreen rod in it. The size rod I used was too small to use a hollow one, so I notched out the tip to make it look a little more like it's hollow.
Added thicker outer ring to the fuel filler by slicing a thin piece of hollow evergreen rod and gluing it on top of it.
Sanded the decklid down significantly to help the rear window fit into place better and also make the trunk overhang the rest of the rear of the car less.
Added rollbar padding using heat shrink tubing (any parts of the tube that had text printed on it I just painted over with Tamiya Rubber acrylic paint and it blended absolutely perfectly) and zipties were made with black sewing thread and super glue.
Added cooling hoses (made from 5/32" extension springs painted with Tamiya Rubber and held in shape with brass rod inside them) and Powerslide naca duct decals.
Added cockpit wiring using stuff sold as plug wire.
Added coiled radio cable to the steering wheel by wrapping that plug wire material around a thin brass rod to form the shape.
Added fuel line using some electrical wire.
Lowered stance by trimming the notch off the rear springs, and cutting and gluing the front wheels on.

Suggestions for anyone tackling this build with these awful kit decals:
1) Spray decal bonder on the decals. They are BRITTLE.
2) Cut as close to the decal as you can. The clear areas are thick and there's way more glue than necessary so they are pretty easily visible.
3) For the larger decals, particularly the ones involving the stripes, cut the decals into smaller pieces. I cut the nose decal into 3 pieces, and even then it ripped in one spot making it more like 4 pieces. However it made applying it infinitely easier, and you can barely tell it isn't one piece.

Last edited by Dan Belcher on Mon May 25, 2020 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out GREAT ! ! ! !

..applause ..applause ..applause

notworthy
gks1964

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Turned out great!!
john843

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful work! If AMT would've had this build for box-art, I have no doubt but that they would have sold more of them! Also GREAT photography.

I've found that K&S #5100 1/16th aluminum tubing is just about perfect for the overflow vent tube. Unless you start with a new end you may have to chamfer out the cut, exposed end with a #11 scalpel a little so it doesn't have a "nozzle" look to it. One or two turns with a used blade will open it right up and then I usually wallow a fine blk. Sharpie in the end of it for contrast.
Thanks for posting this, it kind of made me think of the closet full of AMT kits behind me in a different (and better) light:)
John
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Dan. She looks perfect. You have major skills. Paint , decaling ,cleanliness of build , stance, all are top notch. Thanks for sharing this beautiful build with us.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!

john843 wrote:
I've found that K&S #5100 1/16th aluminum tubing is just about perfect for the overflow vent tube.

Good suggestion! I just ordered some.
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build!
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was Rusty's best looking car and you pulled it off nicely!! Using those kit decals is a war I've also fought. Laughing
Mack

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which is best, your build or your photography skills. Both are fantastic! What you got on deck? I'm looking forward to it.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful model, and your photo skills are top notch too.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I always preferred this scheme over the black and yellow. Great job
john843

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, check your Private messages.

John
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkling effort. Your strong photography skills suggest you've done this before. The images shot on the black and mirrored setting are exemplary.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew that kit could look so good. Awesome work
Lionpride

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure wish Powerslide would do these decals.
Racer14

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super nice build!
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job on this!
I don't know how I missed it back in May - lots of lockdown drama at the time I guess...
lefty1820

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: NICE! Reply with quote

You should be proud! Very well done and well photographed!!
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: