Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 Winston Cuo Champion Darrell Waltrip Budweiser Monte Ca

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: 1985 Winston Cuo Champion Darrell Waltrip Budweiser Monte Ca Reply with quote

Weather was good the past couple of days so, I decided to get another another championship car started. I noticed that in 85 it appears the cars didn't have the lower valance on the nose so, I trimmed that off. Primed, painted and cleared. Tires have been decaled and dull coated. Will be using Powerslide decals. 

Mack

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another outstanding subject. What paint are you using? What do you use for masking? Looks like your lines are really crisp and sharp.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Another outstanding subject. What paint are you using? What do you use for masking? Looks like your lines are really crisp and sharp.

I used Tamiya White Primer. Then I used Tamiya tape to tape up the White areas and then sprayed Tamiya Italian Red TS-8 and then Testros Lacquer High Gloss Clear. Since all hobby shops in my area are deemed non-essential during this COVID19 shutdown, I thought I would just try and spray clear over the white Primer and save what little Gloss White I have. Seems to have worked. Just need to polish it up alittle.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another DW I've got in the works as well
joe b

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good jj. i would knock down the chrome wheel though. the picture looks to have either silver painted wheels or an anodized aluminum look to them.
good call on the valence and good idea for the white. i think that there is thin red pin striping running around the border of the red. one of the reasons why i have not done this car.

joe
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pair of DW cars. Always wanted to do the 89 Daytona car, just haven't got around to it Very Happy
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
looks good jj. i would knock down the chrome wheel though. the picture looks to have either silver painted wheels or an anodized aluminum look to them.
good call on the valence and good idea for the white. i think that there is thin red pin striping running around the border of the red. one of the reasons why i have not done this car.

joe

The decals from Powerslide has the pin stripes. I've been wondering about the wheels as well, not sure what to do yet. I like the look of the chrome and I believe I have seen some pictures of them being chrome. Will look into more.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started decaling and man, had a time with the pin stripes. Glad Mike has some extra pin stripes so I can patch them in. Not sure if it's my paint line or what. Need to take a break.

Bill J

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far. I wonder if you needed to leave a white border around that quarter window. That was what I did with the Yesterday's sheet for the red/white/blue Bud car.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bill J"]Looks good so far. I wonder if you needed to leave a white border around that quarter window. That was what I did with the Yesterday's sheet for the red/white/blue Bud car.

I was looking st that and the decals and thought the d ed calls would handle it. Won't know until I place side windows.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had this issue before but, now the pin stripes are starting to blow off. They are not adhering to the paint like they should. Just had to order another set.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jjsipes"]
Bill J wrote:
Looks good so far. I wonder if you needed to leave a white border around that quarter window. That was what I did with the Yesterday's sheet for the red/white/blue Bud car.

I was looking st that and the decals and thought the d ed calls would handle it. Won't know until I place side windows.

No side windows in 1985
jjsipes

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this picture shows a quarter glass or not? I can tell Earnhardt doesn't have one but, not clear on Waltrip.

joe b

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no there's no window but the stripe is right on the border of the window edge. no red under the window either.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I built it without the quarter windows. Calling it done and have it in the Showroom.
http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=3271
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: