Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino 2+2 & Monogram GP Body conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Salvino 2+2 & Monogram GP Body conversion Reply with quote

Just finished my first 2+2 and wanted to share how I did it. I appreciate what they're doing for the hobby over at Salvinos; but hopefully with Paul @ Cherry Run getting involved in the proofing of the bodies now, the LeMans will be the best one yet.

The Salvino body and nose are just too tall/long, especially in the greenhouse. I had a spare 83 GP body from a Petty combo and got to cutting. On the real car the front fenders and rear quarters were unchanged for the 2+2, so swapping the nose and tail from the Salvino body to the Monogram GM body was fairly easy.

The Salvino nose is just a hair narrower than the Monogram body. I cut the upper radiator support out and then glued the new nose on. The hood needs to be narrowed and reshaped in the front since it's a little too peaky at the center.

I removed the old trunk and transplanted the Salvino trunk in it's place. Glue the rear bumper on so you'll have a guide on how far back to set the new trunk. Once everything was all set, I started test fitting the back glass to see how much needed to be sanded so it would fit.

Joe

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I like the more superspeedway look of the new kit's body sides but the liberties they took with the greenhouse and other proportions did mess up what had been a kit that went together nicely.
gks1964

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes excelent work. i didn't notice the difference in the green house when i compared the two. isn't there parts from the original kit included in the salvino kit? if so does it include the rear bumper without the guards?

joe
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, the new kit uses the old Mongram bumper since they didn't tool up a new one. On mine I removed the guards and used a needle file to get in the crevices between the ribs.

joe b

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. you did a great job on it joe.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks promising. I don't like the flat roof on the 2+2 body, and this conversion you're mapping out should fix all of the issues I have with the 2+2.

Thanks, Joe, and model on !
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Lemans will have the same greenhouse issue as the 2+2. Neutral

Pulled this grab from the JR Saturday video today.

bigryan18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that also on the Lemans, how can they not get that right.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a bummer. Joe, nice work on your 2+2. I'm trying to use the kit body. Not going to lie. It takes alot of fiddling to get a just ok result. And this is their 4th body. On the 2+2, I really dont understand the thick slab roof with no recess on the bottom or the strange leading edge on the roof, and it looks like the lemans is the same deal.

Tb
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can knock down the leading edge of the roof with some sandpaper work and it helps. I was able to make a few subtle mods to the cage in my Rusty build to obscure the roofline problem.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beltline on the Lemans seems too high. I know it's a wide angle lens, so there is some visual distortion there. But there is too much bodyside above the wheel openings. Pushes up into the greenhouse making the roof look too low.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try sanding the roof edge. I like Joe's approach, I just have a long history of botching splice jobs!

Tb
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the trunk chopped out of a Grand Prix, working up the nerve to hack up a 2+2. I have never done any radical surgery so I am taking a apprehensive approach to the project.
gks1964

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
I have the trunk chopped out of a Grand Prix, working up the nerve to hack up a 2+2. I have never done any radical surgery so I am taking a apprehensive approach to the project.

A WIP would be great to see your approach to it!!
Lionpride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are obviously more concerned about rushing kits into our hands and taking our money than actually getting it right.
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all that Salvino JR is doing to keep me financially solvent. I have not bought a single kit of their's so far. I have looked at each kit and see a complete lack of accuracy and thus, save my money.

As much as I would like to make a model of some of their subjects, I would like to it be something close to accurate. I am too old to spend months correcting the errors, if they are correctable. I have plenty of projects to work on already.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
Looks like the Lemans will have the same greenhouse issue as the 2+2. Neutral

Pulled this grab from the JR Saturday video today.

Look again, that is NOT the same greenhouse as the 1986 Pontiac 2+2. It IS the same greenhouse as the # 28 Hardee's LeMans pictured below it. The1981 LeMans 2 - door shared a gently sloping rear window and fairly flat trunk lid with the 2 - door Chevy Malibu. This rear window was better, aero - wise, than the almost straight up rear windows shared by the other 1981 GM " notchbacks" , Pontiac Grand Prix included. For the 1986 season, Pontiac ( and Chevrolet too ) designed a Cheap & Quick Fix of simply dropping a sloping rear window onto a fixed rear deck with a much smaller trunk lid. This was similar to what DODGE did with their 1969 Charger 500. The Pontiac rear window looked RACY, but it was actually less effective than the Monte Carlo SS slopeback rear window. The fact that more GM teams ran the MCSS in 1986 than the Pontiac 2+2 also hurt the car's development. It's worth noting that the Pontiac 2+2 would only win a single Superspeedway Race, and that was a non - points event in Australia.
Based on this single picture of a test shot body, I think Salvino's has come quite close to the overall side silhouette of the 1981 LeMans. The roof leading edge seems to be the biggest deal. ( This is not surprising given what I know about making Plastic Injection Molds from working at my dad's Tool & Die shop in my youth. ) The good news is : You can always graft on a donor roof and A - pillars from any early Monogram 1981 - '84 GM notchback body. Very Happy I see that they chose the 1981 " Opera Window " opening that went all the way up to the roof. Compare it to the same opening in Cale's Daytona 500 - Winning LeMans; NASCAR allowed teams to close off the top of this side window opening a bit, for less wind buffeting inside the cockpit. ( It was also faster !!! Laughing )
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was saying it's to flat....not the same roof
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dave said and the fact you can fit a Popsicle stick between the pillar bars and window opening is extremely concerning; just like how the 2+2 ended up.

George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies; I misunderstood the message. A test body on a hurry - up chassis might account for the rollcage issues, though the body sides do look a bit taller than usual. Still, it's already better than the resin body I have in my stash. ..up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: