Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gurney 1963 Riverside blue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teegeefla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Gurney 1963 Riverside blue Reply with quote

Can someone confirm that Dan Gurney's 1963 Riverside 500 winner had blue painted wheels? What about the interior? Any blue there? I have seen photos of a restored car that has the entire interior painted blue but I also have seen somewhere that the actual car was not blue on the inside. And if not blue, what color should I use for the interior? Thanks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A color picture of Dan's Holman - Moody 1963 1/2 Ford appears on page 86 of the Pete Lyons book Riverside International Raceway. Yes, the rims were baby blue. Hard to tell about the interior, though it looks darker than white.
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blue is 58 Chevy Cashmere Blue. Used in Fred Lorenzen cars when he was with Holman-Moody
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Lorenzen not compete in the 63 Riverside 500. It appears that Gurney was in the #28 for that race.
Racer14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzen ran the 21 for the Woods. Gurney went to the Woods in 64.
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurney's RIR Galaxie was black inside and under the hood.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:

That seems odd. I guess they weren't under contract back then.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Gurney's RIR Galaxie was black inside and under the hood.

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Tom
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Racer14 wrote:

They were under contract to Ford so they drove whatever team car Ford told them to drive or sat at home if there wasn't a ride for that race. Dave MacDonald made some appearances in the Wood Brothers car late in '63, Panch had to sit those races out. Marvin was probably the best road racer of all the NASCAR regulars too, he did a fair bit of sports car racing in California before moving East.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Racer14 wrote:

They were under contract to Ford so they drove whatever team car Ford told them to drive or sat at home if there wasn't a ride for that race. Dave MacDonald made some appearances in the Wood Brothers car late in '63, Panch had to sit those races out. Marvin was probably the best road racer of all the NASCAR regulars too, he did a fair bit of sports car racing in California before moving East.

Thanks, Tom. Very interesting.
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with Mr. Panch about that race years ago. He reported it was a straight political deal. Gurney was a road course ringer. And a media darling. The 63 Motor Trend 500 was the first NASCAR race at Riverside and the debut of the 63 1/2 Galaxie with 427 power. Fomoco suits wanted to maximize their chances of getting a good PR result with a Gurney win in what was arguably the best chassis available. That car was a brand new build fresh from the airport. It is interesting to note that Fred's own brand spanking new 427 Galaxie was left behind in Charlotte and he was tasked with driving the Wood Brothers Galaxie instead. Based on what Eddie Wood told me a while back, that car (the #21) was a rebodied 61 Starliner (that had also raced as a 62 box top Galaxie) that Glen Wood had driven home new from a dealership in Stuart. So, it was not the freshest chassis available.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
I talked with Mr. Panch about that race years ago. He reported it was a straight political deal. Gurney was a road course ringer. And a media darling. The 63 Motor Trend 500 was the first NASCAR race at Riverside and the debut of the 63 1/2 Galaxie with 427 power. Fomoco suits wanted to maximize their chances of getting a good PR result with a Gurney win in what was arguably the best chassis available. That car was a brand new build fresh from the airport. It is interesting to note that Fred's own brand spanking new 427 Galaxie was left behind in Charlotte and he was tasked with driving the Wood Brothers Galaxie instead. Based on what Eddie Wood told me a while back, that car (the #21) was a rebodied 61 Starliner (that had also raced as a 62 box top Galaxie) that Glen Wood had driven home new from a dealership in Stuart. So, it was not the freshest chassis available.

Yes, the Wood Brothers moved up quite a bit in Ford's pecking order after they won the '63 Daytona 500.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since they had to get a driver very quickly after Panch's injuries .
Bill
teegeefla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started this post, I find the answer to one question and another pops up. I was ready to pull the trigger and do the decals on the Gurney #28 winner when I double checked the photos of the number, the 410 HP and LaFayette Ford. I cannot determine if they are dark blue or black...sometimes it seems that the numbers are black and the others are dark blue. The current color photos of the restored/replica cars only make me more unsure. Does anyone know whether these markings were blue, black or a combination? Thanks for any help.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark blue.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-
Thanks.
kentak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Riverside 500 video Reply with quote

Amazon Prime has "MotorTrend 500:NASCAR Heads West", interesting look at the history of the event and some great footage of the cars that I had never seen before. Take a look if have Prime!

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: