Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Petty's 200th win Pontiac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Richard Petty's 200th win Pontiac Reply with quote

Powerslide decals, Tamiya TS-23 and TS-36.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely finished!!!
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Steve!
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOST EXCELLENT!!! I did this last year, unfortunately my fluo red ran when gloss coted. Wish I had the luck you did. Very nicely done!!!---John
the old master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: petty Reply with quote

Nice build. Petty won his 200th win with an illegal motor. NASCAR gave him the win but fined him and docked him points.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: petty Reply with quote

the old master wrote:
Nice build. Petty won his 200th win with an illegal motor. NASCAR gave him the win but fined him and docked him points.

I think you are referring to Richard's 198th "Win" at Charlotte in Oct. 1983. The crew also installed left side tires on the right side for the final run. Rolling Eyes
john843

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Little Bud once if the "fix was in" on this win and his reply was "not officially" but "things were overlooked". He also said that after all the celebrating was done Nascar told the Petty's NOT to bring that car in that configuration back to a Nascar race.
While I had no reason not to believe him at the time, what he said was later confirmed in an article I read in one of the racing publications (possibly Winston Cup Scene) that Nascar had told him not to bring that car back and quoted Bobby Allison as saying the car "looked like it had a dirt track body on it".

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pictures of Petty Pontiacs in Bongard & Coulter's book Richard Petty: The Cars of The King, it's fairly obvious the 1984 body had been sectioned an inch or more. For those who have a copy, look at the amount of sheet metal above the front tire on the 1982 body, as opposed to the amount on the 1984 car. As well, the Pontiac teams had 2 to 3 years experience in " Moving the Metal Around " and knowing what worked, and knowing what would pass NASCAR Tech & what wouldn't. The 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix had one of the smallest frontal areas of any GM G - Body, but it was a blunt frontal area. So the teams would gradually lower the nose as much as they could get away with. Headlight buckets were laid back a bit, and headlight opening sheet metal brought out flush.
The deck lid was as high or higher at trailing edge than any other G-Body, allowing less severe rear spoiler angles. All the GM teams learned to narrow the opera window panels at the rear bottom edges ( where the panel met the fender top ) to allow more air onto the rear spoiler al'a the 1968 Ford Torino & Mercury Cyclone. The 1986 Pontiac 2 + 2 & MCSS Aeroback would fix the notchback issues, but at the expense of front end lift, especially in the 2 + 2.
As an interesting aside, Richard Childress Racing almost became a factory Pontiac team - Again in 1986. Having just finished the J.D. McDuffie book by Brock Beard, pg. 85 : " For the 1986 season, Childress entertained a manufacturer switch from Chevrolet to Pontiac, which he campaigned in 1981 & 1982. To this end he built one of Pontiac's new 2 + 2 models. To fans of " The Intimidator ", the sight of Dale Earnhardt's # 3 Wrangler Jeans - sponsored car on a 1986 Pontiac may seem strange, but it happened - briefly. " The author goes on to state the RCR Pontiac 2 + 2 was sold to Tom Winkle, who provided the car to J.D. when their ( brief ) partnership began. McDuffie would keep the Childress chassis & re - body it as the Burgundy 1988 Pontiac..
john843

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stance looks great. Did you have to tweak the front ride height any? It's been my experience with the Mono chassis', especially with the Buick body on them that the front needs to be dropped 1/8th" - 3/16ths to avoid negative rake, That's a great representation of an iconic car!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: