Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seem to have missed posting these oldies....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Seem to have missed posting these oldies.... Reply with quote

AMT Grant King sprints from the '70's

1st one built, though not original hood

2nd one built..again, not the original hood

3rd one built.....oh, not box stock build.....but.....original hood....(LOL)

These still exist.....
They were built between from when the kit 1st came out, (1974?) with the last one built in 1979/80

Did not see the next release (circa 1986) until in a hobby shop in Daytona while chasing NASCAR diecast. But did not buy it then....
john843

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seem to have missed posting these oldies.... Reply with quote

Did not see the next release until in a hobby shop in Daytona while chasing NASCAR diecast. But did not buy it then....[/quote]

Would that have been the hobby shop in the little strip shopping center several hundred yds. west of the speedway entrance on US 92?

Thanks for posting, those bring back some memories...

John
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John...

Yes, that is the one....
They had a great selection of model car kits....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: next round of builds Reply with quote

IIRC these 2 were the 4th release of the GK sprint kits

Single shots

The above are of the same car, one with the side pods and scratch built wing and without....
The one below, also had the side pods, but cut one side of the holes slightly too large, so one of them sagged....

These two were bought at the same time and built at the same time. Took the color scheme from my first one, the black #97 with orange frame...
2 things happened to the #2x. sometime after I found another kit....
After seeing a pic of a 1:1 sprint with a "wedge" hood, I just had to try one. But, instead of building the new kit with the wedge hood, I took the original hood from the purple #20 as I did not like the modifications I had done to the hood, cut the hood at the base of the cowl, then with Platruct sheet, worked on this design. the silver "rock shield" was cut from a file card. The hood from this build is the one on the #97 as I did not want to lose the A&W decal.
the current hood on the purple #20 is from the kit I did not build, outside of the frame. Wanted to build a "spare" frame as a back up to a team that needed one.....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun continued.....
Tried another engine....1st non kit engine since the Turbo Offy

out of the box build. minus some body pieces....

Last one built....

Ford powered. Sponsor hand painted. Was a real business at the time (1979/80)

Oh, to have had the cottage industries around back then, let alone the internet to find them.......
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool little rides!!!
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking modifieds ... you do such good work.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I did NOT build.....

I inherited this one in 1979 from my brother when he moved to a different house and lost the display area, due to lack of smaller built in shelves. Actually he got rid of the few models he had built ....which were only 3 or 4...

But had to take it apart to make the modifications to various parts so they would fit the way they should. something I learned from my 1st two GK kits, one being the supermodified version that hit my LHS before the sprint car did...Though I did apply th decals and the hand painted number
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the "wild one",,

The AMT Grant King supermodified version that was 1st released as a separate kit.

This was the 4th and last one I built.
Definitely not built out of the box. If it wouldn't have been for the out of scale tires/wheels from a F-1 Lotus kit I found, probably would not have bought the kit. The kit was bought with these tires/wheels in mind. Took things a step further by swiping of the basic engine from a never built AMT Tobias modified (Mustang?) added engine parts from the GK kit. Also found a odd small large piece of a parts tree from some old unknown kt and filled in the opening of the nose piece. A very simple scratch built wing.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: