Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need pics of a Ford 427 race prepped engine circa 1969

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Need pics of a Ford 427 race prepped engine circa 1969 Reply with quote

Anyone have anything? Thanks
afx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are looking for the 427 wedge as the 427 SOHC was banned by NASCAR. A few period photos, not of 1969 however:

I'm sure others have better photos.
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent Tom Mooty some 69 TP shots, Hope he will have the time to post them here.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the help.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got home from work and was able to download and post the photos Dr. Craft so generously shared.

Mack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton! Most helpful. I'm guessing painted blocks and heads were optional or varied from team to team. I'm building the Polar Lights 427. Instructions recommend Ford engine Blue. I'm thinking bare steel may have been correct? Any input is appreciated. And thanks again Dr. Craft, AFX and Tom.
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines should all be Ford dark blue for 1969. Oil pan's too. The intakes are bare aluminum. the Bat wing air cleaners were usually black...but sometimes were painted Ford dark blue.The photos with the ram box intake are of Smokey's Unser Talladega at Daytona. Couple of the others are of Petty's Torino at RIR and his Talladega at the D500.

THANKS Tom for posting.
odcics2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool oil pan. When did they start using a dry sump setup?
odcics2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question.

When did they stop using the IR "Power Tools" sticker and go
to the "Professional Tools" type?

Thinking 1971 perhaps?
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine used in 69 is the Boss 9. 427 used in the early 69 season before the Boss 9 was legal, like Daytona and Riverside
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
Cool oil pan. When did they start using a dry sump setup?

The Boss 429 was Ford's first NASCAR dry sump engine. It was finally allowed to run (after France disallowed it at the last minute just before the Daytona 500) in March of 1969 at Atlanta. Though the 427 had been used with dry sump oiling in the Ford GTs since 1966...it was (apparently) never used in NASCAR with a dry sump for some reason. Not at all sure why.
hawk22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bsbsbsbs

Last edited by hawk22 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk22 wrote:
The 427 that was in the winning car for the 1969 Daytona 500 was on display at the a Darlington raceway museum at one time . I took pictures but can't find now.
Engine was built by Speedy Spears out of Jacksonville, winner Lee Roy Yarbroughs hometown.
I'll search more for pictures.

Sorry, Not so. The 427 Tunnel Port engine that LeeRoy used to win the 1969 Daytona 500 was built the night before the race in Charlotte, NC by a fellow named Robert Yates, at Holman Moody. It was the shipped by air to Daytona and installed in LeeRoy's #98 Holman Moody Talladega just in time for the race. Yates built the engine using rod bolts that Junior Johnson specifically requested due to the failures some Ford teams were experiencing with another type of bolt. That above and beyond stint by Yates in the wee hours began an association with Johnson that would fully blossom about a year and half later when Ford got out of racing. When junior needed an engine builder for his new Chevy Monte Carlo based team, he already had Robert Yates number on speed dial.
hawk22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsbsbsbs

Last edited by hawk22 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk22 wrote:
Who built the winning 1969 Daytona 500 will just have to go down as a 50 year old NASCAR Legend. Here is part of one Speedy Spiers story.
Speedy pasted on this past August at age 92.
If I could find the picture of the race winning 69 engine from Darlington, it mentions Spiers as the engine builder, as I recall.
—————————
Behind every successful race car driver is an oil-stained engine-builder, like Spiers, who would rather have his head under the hood of a car than in front of a TV camera. He is retired now at 75, but he remembers when building an engine was a matter of trial-and-error and drivers were only as good as what was underneath the hoods of their cars.

"The very best equipment can make a mediocre driver look good, but the very best driver can not make shoddy equipment look good," Spiers said.

From 1947 to 1995, over 1,000 short-track and national races were won by drivers competing with a Spiers-built engine. Roberts had 19 of his 32 career victories with Spiers' cars. Yarbrough won the 1969 Daytona 500 with an engine Spiers built and sold him.

What was Spiers' reaction when Yarbrough won at Daytona?

"It didn't mean much to me one way or the other," Spiers said. "I just got paid for the engine, that's all I cared about. They didn't give me any recognition for it at all. . . . and I didn't want it."

Rest in piece Speedy Spiers, you will not be forgotten....

Sorry, this is just NOT true.

Not sure who this Speedy person is. I do know who Junior Johnson is. And he is the fellow who told me about Yates building the D500 winning engine at his specific request. So, I will go with that as fact...rather than *legend*.

In addition, No one "sold" engines to Junior, or Banjo, or Bondy, or The Woods or any of the other Fomoco factory teams. They drew their engines from Holman Moody. Look closely at the initial photos in this very thread. You will see a truckload of Medium Riser engines that are on the back of a Holman Moody truck at Riverside in 1965. Those engines were there for distribution to the Ford teams. So, that part of the "Speedy story" is also inconsistent with historical fact.

I have asked Tom to post shots of H&M engines waiting distribution at races in 1964, 1965 and 1969.

Never trust a scribbler, lots of misinformation gets into print that is just flat wrong. This is one instance.
C5HM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk22 wrote:
I will trust Speedy Spiers, who I new personally and he was never known as a lair, but was know as a great engine builder.

You can stick to your unverified story and I’ll Provide Documentation for mine.

What we can agree on is Lee Roy Yarbrough won the race and he was from Jacksonville (the big Jacksonville in Florida), as was Speedy Spiers, and we can just leave it at that.

Unverified, you say?...Junior Johnson himself told me about the winning engine. History records that Ford teams received their engines from H&M and not private suppliers. That too *unverified*? Tom Mooty has photos I shared with him that show literally truck loads of engines fresh from H&M waiting for distribution at tracks. And you call this unverified?...And in so doing call me a liar.

What a piece of work you are.

What you believe is a matter of utmost indifference to me. I have shared with you what history records. You may choose not to believe it. But that does not change history. I think any further interaction with you would be unproductive.

While waiting for Tom to post shots of the engines that H&M supplied to Fomoco factory teams...to include LeeRoy's and Junior's at *each and every race* (obviating the need for some local wrench named "Speedy" to build a Ford team engine) back in the day...I would direct your attention to this interview (from the Daytona Beach News Journal) with Robert Yates at the Racer's Reunion site. Of course. since RY makes note of the fact that...as stated...*HE* built LeeRoy's 69 D500 winning engine on a rush basis...Yates is also a liar and his claims in the news paper article (and Junior's) are *unverified*...Where you live, natch.

DAYTONA NEWS JOURNAL ARTICLE BEGINS

Yates builds winning engine in 69, then gets 3 500s as a team owner
By KEN WILLIS
NEWS-JOURNAL SPORTS WRITER

DAYTONA BEACH As much as anyone in auto racing, Robert Yates has become synonymous with horsepower. He built a name in racing as a master engine builder. He powered winners for the race teams of Holman-Moody, Junior Johnson, DiGard and Harry Ranier, and eventually took over Raniers team in the late 1980s.

In the years since, Yates racing has become a NASCAR kingmaker, winning races with Davey Allison, Ernie Irvan and Ricky Rudd, and a championship with Dale Jarrett. Along the way, Yates has fielded three Daytona 500 winners.

Robert Yates (Photo: The News-Journal)

My dad was a preacher, and when I was 7, 8, 10 years old, my dad would preach about the Bluebird and this guy -- Sir Malcolm Campbell or somebody -- who made this land-speed record on the beach in Daytona.

Hed be preaching about Gods way of coming in and smoothing the sand so a man could do something like that. I remembered that, about this guy racing on the beach. He told that story again and again, talking about Gods way with nature.

I sure perked up when I heard that, because I loved cars. I couldnt wait to get on the beach with a car.

Id probably never been out of North Carolina when I was a kid. I was probably 12 years old before I ever got out of the state.

But I started hearing about Daytona, about the Speedway. I was thinking about this place way off in the distance. I had a picture in my mind about what the place looked like.

I finally came here in 1963. Some friends of mine from East Carolina College called me. I was at Wilson Technical Institute.

There wasnt no I-95 then. We met and drove down, came down Highway 301. Man, Im going to Florida. Ive never seen Florida -- this is a whole big experience.

Going to see the 63 Chevrolet that Junior Johnson is running, you know. Got down here, of course it was the first time I ever experienced going from where it was cold to where it was warm. Got down here and rolled the windows down -- thought that was a big deal.

Got down here but didnt have a place to stay. We didnt think about it. didnt really have money to rent a place anyway. wed just stay in the car.

Got down here on Friday. We walked in and got a grandstand ticket. The Friday sportsman race was going on. I walked straight to the fence, and all of a sudden, just as I got there, they had this 11-car pileup. A windshield comes out of one guys car. A friend of mine was standing beside me at the fence, and here comes this windshield out of a 63 Dodge or something, right up in the air and over the fence, and splattered right between us.

I thought that was the coolest thing that ever happened -- Man this is exciting.

I just couldnt believe I was here. It was quite an experience.

I drove on the beach the next year, driving a new 64 Dodge. Then in 65, I got a 65 Chevrolet up to about 110 miles an hour on the beach. It was early morning; there was not a soul out there. I dont know why they didnt put me in jail. It was like 6 oclock in the morning. I wanted to go down that beach wide open, and I did.

Just a few years later, I built the engine that won the 1969 Daytona 500 with LeeRoy Yarbrough, while I was working for Holman-Moody.

It was a last-minute panic deal that happened. Our engines had been breaking bolts, and we couldnt figure out why. My job at Holman-Moody was to fit all the engine bearings. The engineers were convinced it was bolt stretch. Junior called me and said, I think these bolts are bad. That was his wisdom -- if theyre breaking, theyre bad.

He wanted to know if we had any of the black bolts we used to run. I looked in my cabinet and I had about 20 bolts. This was real late. The race was in just a few days.

Junior thought we needed to change the bolts, but the engineers wouldnt allow it. They didnt think that was the problem. Junior says, Well, they wont let us change any. But if youve got an engine with them in it, Ill run it.

So Junior, sorta not going in the front door, says, I want an engine with the black bolts.

I worked all night. Put the engine together in record time. Iss usually a three-day deal, but I did it that day and that night, had it on the dyno at 7 oclock in the morning.

Junior or somebody picked it up and ran it in the Daytona 500. I didnt get to come down for the race. LeeRoy won the race, and I didnt know if theyd run the engine or not, because back then there wasnt much communication.

So on Monday morning at the shop, Junior comes by the shop that day. He comes up to me and slips me a $100 bill. It was like, Yes! That was my claim to fame. That engine is still in Darlington at the Hall of Fame there .

I came down here in 76 to work for DiGard (race team). DiGard was trying to get me to go to work for em. They had everybody working for em. They had Smokey on the payroll -- had everybody and their son on the payroll.

They said, come down and just help us out. I loaded my toolbox on my wifes car and drove to Daytona. I pulled in the shop, David Ifft came out and said, Glad youre here, we just laid off all our engine guys.

They fired everybody but two of em. I said, Im only here for two weeks. Well, I was here for a year.

Stayed at the Scottish Inn, and at the Copacabana some. They sent me Christmas cards for years after that. Id go to McDonalds for a Coke and an Egg McMuffin, and show up at work there on Fentress every morning at 7 oclock.

I bought a condo here, over near the Chart House, a few years back -- back when you had the fires.

I like Daytona. What I always really enjoyed about Daytona is November. Theres almost nobody here, and Iss just beautiful. You can go out on the beach, and Iss quiet. Really good.

Trying to do more of that every year. -- Robert Yates

DAYTONA NEWS JOURNAL ARTICLE ENDS

Since I am apparently an untrustworthy source of racing information (unverified and all) here's the link to the article at the Racer's Reunion site.
http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/30653/racing-history-minute-1969-daytona-500

Last edited by C5HM on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk22 wrote:
I’ll Provide Documentation for mine.

So, what sort of documentation do you have? Besides your memory of a story told you by another old racer?

Dr. Craft shared some additional photos from his files.

Ford engines hauled out to Riverside in '69. Hutch in the background:

The H-M engine truck at Daytona, 1964:

The H-M engine truck at Riverside, 1965:
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm the guy that started this thread, I will weigh in. I was needing pics of a period correct engine for a Red Farmer Torino I'm working on. If there is a site where I can scrounge up such a pic it is here. Dr. Craft is widely recognized as one of the foremost authorities on all things vintage Ford Racing. And especially all things Holman-Moody. One of my favorite restorations that he completed was the 1965 Daytona 500 winner driven by Fred Lorenzen. From the pics I've seen of the finished product, It's impeccable. Dr. Craft deals in 'facts', and nothing more. That's his reputation. And it's hard to fathom Lee Roy buying his own engine, when he was driving Juniors equipment. Perhaps Lee Roy bought an engine, or several engines from the Spiers fellow. That I do not know. But I'd be hard pressed to believe he bought an engine to run in one of Juniors Grand National cars. Hard to imagine Junior going along with that. Just my 2 cents.
C5HM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Tom!

As is graphically documented by the photos I sent your way, Ford's in house engine program was literally an embarrassment of riches during the factory backed racing era. H&M supplied all of the engines for all of the Fomoco teams on race day. This obviated any need for some local grease monkey in Jacksonville Florida to build an engine for LeeRoy Yarbrough's use in the 1969 Daytona 500. Can you imagine what John Holman...or Bunkie Knudsen would have had to say about that (had that fantasy actually happened)? The mind races. Can you imagine Junior Johnson going outside Fomoco/H&M resources to seek help from some yocal in Jax in any case?

Add to that the fact that stories abound about drivers carping about not getting a "good engine" from the pile H&M produced at each and every for Fomoco teams to use. (I can recall..as can you?... both Fireball and Mario carping in this vein). I recall one tale involving Fireball where Moody told him to pick any engine out of the H&M pile to use...and going slower when he did. Then there is the oft told tale of wee Mario switching tags on the pile of H&M engines at Daytona in 1967 in order to get "a good one".

One wonders where "Speedy" was in Fireball's and Mario's time of need <snicker>

Of course, these photos, the historical record, Robert Yates' recorded words and Junior's retelling of the story...to disreputable me, natch... behind the winning D500 engine are...sadly...*unverified* (Lacking as they do an affidavit from the Deity /5G real time recording of events to Hawk22's satisfaction, natch, or the use of Mr. Peabody's "Way Back" machine to transport Hawk22 to H&M's engine room in February of 1969..."Sigh").

Hawk22's "sticking" to what Speedy told him, by gum.

Pretty sure that Columbus knew Hawk 22's great-great-great-great grand dad. Glad old Chris didn't pay any more heed...before setting sail... to what that guy said than I am going attend to Hawk 22's insulting blather going forward.
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Well, since I'm the guy that started this thread, I will weigh in. I was needing pics of a period correct engine for a Red Farmer Torino I'm working on. If there is a site where I can scrounge up such a pic it is here. Dr. Craft is widely recognized as one of the foremost authorities on all things vintage Ford Racing. And especially all things Holman-Moody. One of my favorite restorations that he completed was the 1965 Daytona 500 winner driven by Fred Lorenzen. From the pics I've seen of the finished product, It's impeccable. Dr. Craft deals in 'facts', and nothing more. That's his reputation. And it's hard to fathom Lee Roy buying his own engine, when he was driving Juniors equipment. Perhaps Lee Roy bought an engine, or several engines from the Spiers fellow. That I do not know. But I'd be hard pressed to believe he bought an engine to run in one of Juniors Grand National cars. Hard to imagine Junior going along with that. Just my 2 cents.

Mack, Thanks for the props. I hope that the photos posted by Tom (Thanks Tom) helped on your project. I used to hang out here a lot. Back in the day this was THE place for serious rememberance and honoring of NASCAR history. The computer crash and the Photo bucket debacle have been hard on this forum. It appears from the puerile nature of some of the posts in this thread...it is still a ways off from getting back to where it once was. Pity. Let me suggest the Grand National History before 1972 site on Face Book as an alternate place to hang out for NASCAR history and period pictures. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/503948376298668/
Lots of the folks who used to be regulars here now hang out there. Modelers are welcome as are photos of their projects. I have seen tons of historic NASCAR photos posted there that I have never seen seen before and posting is a snap. No third part hosting platform needed. In the more good news category, the moderators at that forum do not truck with the gormless petulance that seems to be acceptable here these days. Check it out!
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Craft, I will check that forum out. And thanks for the pics.
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!

Look at all those vintage photos!!

Very Happy

Who could argue with that? Rolling Eyes
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
WOW!!!

Very Happy

You by chance have a treasure trove of Mopar pics? Would seem fitting if you did.
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
odcics2 wrote:
WOW!!!

Very Happy

You by chance have a treasure trove of Mopar pics? Would seem fitting if you did.

He most certainly does. Don't see much of those, though.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Craft, since we're a little far afield on Mack's thread anyway, maybe it's safe to ask if the individual teams had full control over the motors once they were in their hands? For instance, could the teams tear them down to any degree or alter or replace components? I'm assuming HM (or Ford) technically "owned" them but what would the life cycle of a 427 HR be from when they were delivered initially to the teams. Also, did Ford provide full engine service at the various tracks for the teams with their motors?
Not trying to be 20 questions, BUT, since you're here:)

John
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Dr. Craft, since we're a little far afield on Mack's thread anyway, maybe it's safe to ask if the individual teams had full control over the motors once they were in their hands? For instance, could the teams tear them down to any degree or alter or replace components? I'm assuming HM (or Ford) technically "owned" them but what would the life cycle of a 427 HR be from when they were delivered initially to the teams. Also, did Ford provide full engine service at the various tracks for the teams with their motors?
Not trying to be 20 questions, BUT, since you're here:)

John

Ford owned the cars and the parts. Teams received cars on a "dollar" contract. For the fee of one dollar, the team received the car for one year. That contract required that the team return the car to H&M (Ford's subcontractor) at season's end in return for a payment of one dollar. The teams were free to modify the cars as they desired (rules limited natch). Some cars were delivered turn key but most were considered "kit" cars. That is to say they were delivered to the teams in less than complete running condition. So the team could fit them out as they chose....with parts also supplied by H&M (and billed back to Fomoco). At season's end, all cars (and parts..in cases where a team left the Fomoco banner...like Petty at the end of 1969) went back to H&M. When Ford got out of racing in 1970, the teams were allowed to keep cars and parts. As the photos posted clearly show, Ford/H&M supplied the engines for all teams at each race. Robert Yates (and JJ's to me) report of building the D500 winning engine (in 1969) emphasizes this fact. Junior Johnson, as a Factory team "owner" drew his engines from H&M and not some outside engine builder in Jacksonville, FLA. It is my understanding that Nichels followed a different pattern and that Mopar cars belonged to the teams once they were assigned.

As to individual engines, I have spoken with racers who had H&M "privileges" back in the day, they report that H&M basically had an assembly line for reconditioning engine parts race to race. Engines were torn town after a race. Questionable parts were replaced, and then the engines were reassembled and made available to the teams...each with a dyno sheet. Again, you can see proof of that in the photos of the fresh engines H&M had waiting at tracks that Tom posted for me the other day.
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/503948376298668/

A Darksiders must see. Thanks Dr. Craft
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk22 wrote:
Bsbsbsbs

C'mon man. There's no need to be ill or cross about the info shared here. Don't be pithy about something like this. There's nothing wrong with being misinformed. I've been that way many times in my life. However when confronted with facts, it's easier to stand corrected, than debate with the facts. Ford spent a ton of money racing in the sixties, near vulgar amounts. The thought they would trust some local guy anywhere to build engines for their Grand National efforts is hard to fathom. No one has called you a liar, they simply pointed out what you've been told is incorrect. An old teacher told me years ago, "I can only lead you to the door to the room of knowledge, if you open it and walk in is up to you". And, if you can provide proof of your claims, I'll gladly stand corrected.
C5HM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
hawk22 wrote:
Bsbsbsbs

C'mon man. There's no need to be ill or cross about the info shared here. Don't be pithy about something like this. There's nothing wrong with being misinformed. I've been that way many times in my life. However when confronted with facts, it's easier to stand corrected, than debate with the facts. Ford spent a ton of money racing in the sixties, near vulgar amounts. The thought they would trust some local guy anywhere to build engines for their Grand National efforts is hard to fathom. No one has called you a liar, they simply pointed out what you've been told is incorrect. An old teacher told me years ago, "I can only lead you to the door to the room of knowledge, if you open it and walk in is up to you". And, if you can provide proof of your claims, I'll gladly stand corrected.

Mack, We are agreed. I too found Hawk22's response of "Bsbsbsbs" to documented fact to be unproductive.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second pic posted by AFX I see that Neds Galaxie has a drivers side wind shield wiper. I've seen a pic of his 1965 Southern 500 winner equipped the same way was this a common practice, or something unique to the Bondy Long car?
C5HM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
In the second pic posted by AFX I see that Neds Galaxie has a drivers side wind shield wiper. I've seen a pic of his 1965 Southern 500 winner equipped the same way was this a common practice, or something unique to the Bondy Long car?

That is a Riverside shot. It was very dusty there, I've have seen other cars with wipers there and elsewhere when conditions warranted.
odcics2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Mack wrote:
odcics2 wrote:
WOW!!!

Very Happy

He most certainly does. Don't see much of those, though.

Have posted some on dodgecharger.com. I'm not on facebook or any other site pertaining to old race cars.

Just posted the pics I took in 1991 of the #37 '67 Charger, freshly converted to a 1969 Charger #71 by a guy in Kansas.

Isaac never sat in that car as a 69! But he DID drive it when numbered #37 in it's original 1967 fastback body.

And the car now sits in a Museum, stating Isaac drove it to a Nascar Championship!
C5HM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the car now sits in a Museum, stating Isaac drove it to a Nascar Championship![/quote

And that car sits next to the replica Donnie Allison Talladega (really Junie Donlavey's sportsman Mercury) at the IMHoF in Talladega

So it goes.

All replicas become real over time.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:

Curious about this montage. Photos seem to be from maybe around 1965, but wasn't Pearson solid with Cotton Owens at that time?
john843

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was. David drove his last race for Cotton on Apr. 16th 1967 at No. Wilkesboro. His first race with H-M was the Rebel 400 a month later on May 13th '67.

John
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how can model builders get ahold of the coolant overflow tank sitting high up on the front of this engine? I need it for a build of Pearson's '68 title winner and none of the Polar Lights models - which all offer the 427 engine option - include that key part in their kits.
kentak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check AMT 63 and 64 Galaxie kits, also the Revell Partspak 427, AMT 62 ThunderBird (new tool). I think they stopped using that expansion tank from 65 on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: