Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1971 "Chargin Charlie" and the return of Chevy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the old master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: 1971 "Chargin Charlie" and the return of Chevy Reply with quote

How Chevy made its NASCAR return in 1971.Chevy hadn't been involved in racing since 1963. "This story is published by Junior Johnson".

I figured the Monte Carlo was the model best suited for NASCAR – but I had no idea what NASCAR would think about that.

The Monte Carlo was so wide its wheelbase had to be reduced. I met with NASCAR and asked them to let me use the Monte Carlo front snout, but cut it where it fit the wheelbase rule. They let me do that.

But it didn’t end there. Because it was a Chevrolet, there were no NASCAR rules about motors and other things. I had to get the car approved by showing NASCAR all that was going on with the motors, how it was built and that kind of stuff.

With the help of some good assistants, the Chevy was ready to race just five weeks after I first spoke with Richard.

We got Charlie Glotzbach to drive for us. They called him “Chargin’ Charlie” so that should tell you he had a driving style I liked.

We were ready for shakedown runs at Charlotte. I had no idea how the car would do. It was all brand new. Everything I had done to it was untried.

When got to Charlotte I was shocked an amazed at how fast the Chevy ran. But I realized that, being a driver in the past, I obviously wanted a fast car.

So did the guys who worked for me, Turkey Minton and Herb Nab. We were taking a shot in the dark, so we duplicated the best of everything we knew, and it worked.

Charlie won the World 600 pole with a speed of 157.788 mph. He led the race four times for 87 laps. He even put a lap on the field before the race was halfway over.

But then Charlie swerved to miss Speedy Thompson on the frontstretch and darned if Charlie didn’t hit the wall. That was the end for us. Charlie finished 28th.

gks1964

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Gerald
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, historic build. Nice!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attended that race. That Chevy was fast and reminded me of Jr in his 63 chevy. Great looking model
Bill
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie will still show up at the local bullring time to time. He is legendary in these parts......
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL build ! ! !

Great story.....
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent one T.O.M. Another one of those bucket list models I want to do. What kit did you use?
gcreswell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job and story behind the build. A lot work goes into turning a street car model into a nascar ride.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: