Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what thickness clear styrene for monogram/revell windows?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: what thickness clear styrene for monogram/revell windows? Reply with quote

lost a window set for a NASCAR Ron Hornaday truck. Don't want to spring for another kid just for the windows. So what thickness clear styrene sheet do you recommend so I can make set from scratch? And how do you recommend cutting it out? scissors, boxing knife, x auto blade?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen all different thicknesses used to great effect. I would suggest using what you feel works. A well stocked craft store should have several thicknesses. For the sake of argument though .005 is popular.

What I would suggest is using index cards to get your pattern. (Don't matter if you screw it up, you got another card) Make your pattern of the window and place it on the clear sheet, with masking tape on the plastic. I use a mechanical pencil and trace the pattern onto the masking tape. Cut out the new window, trim or sand the edges where needed, remove tape and shout "VIOLA!" Then explain yourself to your significant other for shouting out of nowhere. Hope this helps.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I picked up a package of 10 clear sheets, about 6 or 8 inches square and .020" or .030" thick, from a seller on eBay. It was something like $10 or so all up. It's the plastic that's sold for vacuum forming, and each side has a protective plastic layer that peels off (which, of course, you do before you heat-form with it). I have used it for making windows and heat-forming new windshields and rear glass, and it has worked really well. If you just need one or two pieces, there are some sellers who sell it by the sheet.

Jodie Peeler
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie do you have a vacu-form machine? If not how do you heat form the plastic?
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Jodie do you have a vacu-form machine? If not how do you heat form the plastic?

We do have an old Mattel machine around here somewhere but it needs an overhaul, as so many of them do. I just do the old "heat and smash" technique with a candle - use the candle to soften the plastic and then pull it down over whatever shape you want to form.

For example, the original windshield in the kit I used for this model had a blemish, so I used it as a form to make a new windshield:

The side windows were cut from unheated sheet, but the NACA inlets were heat-formed by the same method. If I don't have a kit part to use as a molding shape, I will make one from basswood, sheet styrene, epoxy putty or whatever else will serve the purpose. It takes a little practice, but once you have the technique it's a good thing to have in your back pocket.

Jodie Peeler
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: