Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPC nascar dodge daytona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bighoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: MPC nascar dodge daytona Reply with quote

Ok - so I have a few of the old MPC Dodge Daytona kits. I am in the process of starting a group build of a few of them. I was wondering what was going on with the original Isaac kits with the scoop, cover, what ever it is on the door scallops. Looks really weird and didn’t know what the story was on them. I am trying to figure out a way to remove them so the doors look correct. Glad my Brooks kits don’t have these but was curious about this on some of the Isaac kits. Anyone?
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jings. Reads like a problem for a sharp knife or judicious reading of the instruction sheet. Sounds way more challenging than it should be.

There's scads of images of this car all over the internet.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MPC Isaac Charger Daytona kit pre-dates me, but those are 1970 Dodge Charger R/T door scoops on that kit. I have always assumed that MPC, in preseason '70, took a guess at what the Charger Daytona might look like in Grand National trim, and they missed the mark with the door scoops. The really unfortunate part of this is that, after they tooled the scallops back in for all subsequent releases of that 500 body, they never looked as nice (true to the 1:1) as the original '68/'69 MPC annual Chargers. If you don't like the door scoops, maybe replace the entire door with a donor MPC piece from the millions of reissues since? Hope this helped. Happy building!
bighoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt T. wrote:
The MPC Isaac Charger Daytona kit pre-dates me, but those are 1970 Dodge Charger R/T door scoops on that kit. I have always assumed that MPC, in preseason '70, took a guess at what the Charger Daytona might look like in Grand National trim, and they missed the mark with the door scoops. The really unfortunate part of this is that, after they tooled the scallops back in for all subsequent releases of that 500 body, they never looked as nice (true to the 1:1) as the original '68/'69 MPC annual Chargers. If you don't like the door scoops, maybe replace the entire door with a donor MPC piece from the millions of reissues since? Hope this helped. Happy building!

Makes since Matt - I knew someone would have an answer. I thought about the possibility of door replacements vs trying to rework the scoops into something somewhat presentable. I may need to go on the hunt for some old 68/69 build ups that I could use for donor doors.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 2 versions of the Issac Charger. The one you describe, then another version with the door scallops. That version, also molded in red, had the door vent windows removed, a neat taillight filler panel with lots of rivet detail and driver side headlight door replaced with fine screen detail. Those are a little harder to find but I've had a couple.

Tom
bighoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
There were 2 versions of the Issac Charger. The one you describe, then another version with the door scallops. That version, also molded in red, had the door vent windows removed, a neat taillight filler panel with lots of rivet detail and driver side headlight door replaced with fine screen detail. Those are a little harder to find but I've had a couple.

Tom

Yep - I believe the later version is the same body that’s in the Brooks kit. I would like to find a couple more of those.
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Issac Daytona Reply with quote

Think I’ve got the Brooks and Issac Daytona kits both built but restorable if anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll check my stash!
bighoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Issac Daytona Reply with quote

pulln4dejr wrote:
Think I’ve got the Brooks and Issac Daytona kits both built but restorable if anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll check my stash!

Interested - sent you a pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: