Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cutting the kit plastic glass???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: cutting the kit plastic glass??? Reply with quote

hey all i'm currently building Johnny Bensons 2002 Rockingham Fall winning car and since they didn't run side windows at the Rock back then how would I best go about cutting it off the profinish glass piece? I've used side cutters before for other ones and it was a disaster ie a 2004 Ford Taurus that I had to mooch front glass off someone to fix my issue. What I'm thinking is drill a couple holes and then cut it. I don't want to xacto knife it, cuz well cut fingers etc. thanks
volkerc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a proxxon rotary with a regulated power supply so it runs on low speeds not to crack the part or heat up too much.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a razor saw for clear parts.

Tom
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Acto hot knife or similar.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on razor saw. Saw blades are available to fit Xacto handles.
Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies I used essentially a hacksaw blade on some contraption i dunno what it is, pictured below are the results its kinda crude but its under the body and not seen and more importantly works for me Very Happy

George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it helpful to apply masking tape over the area you want to cut, then layout the cut lines on that & make your cuts. A very fine tooth blade is best, and take your time.
I've never tried the hot Exacto blade; that deal might work better.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always having to cut vent glasses off of windshields and I'm very old school on this. I remove the vent assembly and use the front roof post to scribe a cut on the windshield then I put some masking tape on the windshield side of the cut and just go after it with a #11 blade exacto knife till I get the trench deep enough to bend the piece till it gives away and after a few back and forths it comes off the windshield. Then I clean up the cut area with one of the tiny metal files I purchased. Takes forever but I hate to put a cut or grind marks from a dremel tool that gets away from me on the windshield. I need to be slow and methodical with my work at my age. But I'm in no hurry to finish these builds. Why rush?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: