Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hudson blues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Hudson blues Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for matching paints for the blues used on Hudson Hornets in 1952 and 1953.

Looking to complete the '51 Hudson driven, for most of the season, to the '52 title by Tim Flock. Believe the color of that car was Bali Blue. Looking to create the car that won the Motor City 250 - all blue, no white roof. It was his fourth and final win in it before switching to the blue and white '52 which earned him three more wins.

And the '53 Hudson driven to the '53 title by Herb Thomas. Believe the color of that car was Southern Blue.

Charts for Hudson body colors from '51 to '53, downloaded off the net, are showing those shades of blue to be so close in tone I wonder if they were the same shade of blue.

I've tried several auto paint suppliers who can't (or can't be bothered to) come up with a formula to accurately reproduce either of these shades of blue. Anyone have a suggestion for which paint(s) might work as a good alternative?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bottom of this link, there is a list of suggested matches for Bali Blue...

https://encycolorpedia.com/60707f
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Dennis.

One of the paint shops I visited were looking for this sort of specific data so I'll forward this to them. Thanks.
carhunter60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has a 1942 Ford that is Florentine Blue. Very close match. That is what I painted my Flock car. Now to finish it sometime.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking that, carhunter. Definitely in the ball park with that call.

Can't tell you how awkward it feels to be standing at a paint shop counter showing pictures and telling the staff that it's 'a grey-ish blue' and getting these wide-eyed looks back from them when they learn it's a '50s color from an auto maker that no longer exists.

And the eyebrows go up even higher when they learn it isn't a metallic color.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not the same when viewed side by side. There's even more difference when cleared. The blue/white car is painted Bali Blue, the medium blue car with a noticeable gray tint is Southern Blue.

bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Tom. That really clears up the differences.

What paints did you use for these two? They look great, BTW.

The dark blue in the back - Frank Mundy, by any chance?
Taz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banger boy, I used MCW Bali blue and MCW southern blue on my Hudsons...I have a full bottle of the southern blue and 3/4 bottle of the Bali blue left for sale if your interested.

PM me
Ron
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron,

First thing I did after seeing Tom's informative picture was order up a batch of those colours from MCW. Took a month to get here (East York) but I'm about to put them to work.
Taz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banger, how did you get them across the border?
Ron
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostages.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Seriously. A simple on-line order that was delivered via a combo of USPS and Canada Post.

Took it's sweet time arriving. But as I like to tell my clients - You can't hurry love and you can't rush quality.

I got a double order of the Hudson blues coz I've got a few of the Franklin Mint '51 Marshall Teague diecast cars and one stock bodied '51. Both the '51 and '52 titles were won with the '51 being the principal car.

Plan is to add to my collection of title winners by doing the Herb Thomas car that won the '51 Southern 500 and Tim Flock's winner at the Motor City 250 in '52.

And then I'll body mod the bejeebers outta one more for Thomas' '53 title winner. And hopefully leave one Teague car in original state because he was an important driver in the early days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: